Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently wrecked my 02SVS and was cuirious as to if i should replace it with a race style tail section or just put it back to stock.......any opinions?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
that is really up to you, you carry passengers, then a stock would be better, if not and don't mind the loss of storage then go race tail
Couldnt have said it better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there a significant price difference between the two?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
midnightsvs said:
is there a significant price difference between the two?
depends on where you buy, on ebay tail plastics are pretty reasonable, depends on the color too, blue seems to be a little higher than the silver, the race tail might need some additional fabrication it work on a street bike, i'm not sure, i'd personally go with a seat cowl with stock plastics

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm what kinds of mods would i have to do for the race tail to fit?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
midnightsvs said:
hmm what kinds of mods would i have to do for the race tail to fit?
i'm not sure, but anytime you put a nonstock piece it never fits as well as OEM, plus it was meant for race, IE no taillight undertray, it just might not be a simple job, it's probably not hard either, just something to consider

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Generally you have to drill all the mounting holes, possibly re-route some of the wires outside of the subframe, and make it work with your undertail. Some of them come pre-cut for a tail light, others dont. Price ranges from 150-225ish, whereas with the stock tail you could replace just a half of it if that is all you destroyed. But they look so bonerific.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for some reason in the crash it destroyed both sides although my right front uppers, and lowers were untouched. I was so out of it after i crashed i didnt think of looking for scrap lying around........i even managed to "kung fu" kick my way through one of those 4x4 road signs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
everything still looks pretty straight. Is there a special way to make sure that its ok?

·
Registered
514 Posts
midnightsvs said:
everything still looks pretty straight. Is there a special way to make sure that its ok?
String.

From the headtube to the back of the bike.

Measure the distace at some point in the middle. If its not the same on both sides, something is tweaked.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i'd go with a 1 piece solo race tail

the SV650 tail plastics are peices of shit-they are SO Easy to break(3-piece design)

thats the only thing i ever hated about mine

actually for some reason i've had bad-luck with all suzuki's tail i've owned-lol

the gixxer tail is 1 peice but still cracked for no reason around the mounting holes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.