Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Been halfway lurking for a while. I'll pop in every once in a while, but I can't say I've been a huge contributor. I decided a while back that I was tired of seeing people come to forums with a problem, but after they find something that works they never come back to post the solution. So I started recording some of the various things I do to my vehicles in the hopes of helping the next jerk-off.

I fixed up a rashed-badly-by-previous-owners '07 SV650S last winter. It had a shifting issue that I was able to fix, and then did some body work. It's been going great ever since.

When the opportunity came up to snag another cheap SV, I couldn't resist. I'd been drooling over Michael Woolaway's Pike's Peak bike he rebuilt for the 2019 run, "The Beastie."

I decided that was going to be the inspiration for this build. Since it's my 2nd garbage SV I decided on the name "Operation SV2." Progress has been slow for various reasons, but it's nearing completion, at least of the initial phase. I've put a GSXR front end on, with a custom triple clamp and bar risers, swapped the rear wheel for a GSXR unit, and built a custom front number plate/headlight nacelle that'll probably be redone soon. Nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoy the work and tracking my progress.

I've posted several videos to YouTube that may be helpful or at least marginally interesting to people working on SV's. I figured I should start a build page now that I've made some progress. Looking forward to riding and continuing to build and learn from the forum!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone looking to do bar risers on their S, or anyone with a need for a new upper triple, I highly recommend this guy. He's now working under the name NUKEMoto, but here's the website. I'm very impressed with the setup I got.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been a little bit since the last update. Got it all buttoned up and riding this week. I'd posted previously about my braking woes: on my first shakedown ride the front brakes were rubbing and locked up. I hadn't rebuilt the brakes like I'd considered when I did the GSXR front end swap, and figured I had an issue with either the caliper seals dragging or the MC return port being gunked up.

So I rebuilt the calipers and master cylinder and got new pads while I was at it (the old ones were barely usable anyway). Glad I did. Check out this gunk!

I tried to go for an maiden voyage, and in less than 2 miles my brakes were dragging pretty bad and locked up again. I read around online about this being a known issue in GSXR front end swaps, and the most common reasons were the MC return port being gunked (couldn't be the case with a fresh clean/rebuild, new lines, and fresh fluid) or a cheap/warped brake lever not letting the MC piston return fully. Being as I had bought a super cheap Amazon special lever, I decided to buy some quality equipment and picked up a Vortex brake lever, with a matching clutch lever to replace the one that PO had put on in his quest to fake-carbon out the bike.

Turns out she it just needed me to throw more money at it. So I spent almost $300 rebuilding a brake system, when the problem was the $20 lever to start with. 😖 But, it apparently needed it anyway, and I was going to rebuild the brakes eventually so they were a known quantity. At any rate, the bike is now rideable after almost a year of work. Not "done" yet, but they never are. Few more things to button up to call Phase 1 totally complete. Feels so good though to have it going. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some curvy Texas Hill Country roads that need my attention.

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
Nice work, marteney. (y)

We have seen that brake lock up problem posted a few times here on SVRider. The wrong brake lever prevents the MC return port from opening. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting your videos and experience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The next step I'm taking on the bike is to make a gauge cluster from an arduino. I've kind of been wanting to learn about arduino for the last couple of years anyway, so I thought this would be a good, if challenging project to learn the basics. I've been intermittently working on it for a couple of weeks, and have a functioning proof of concept (at least for a tach). Going to keep plugging away at it as time allows and see if I can make it work. Just using a speedo app on my phone in the mean time.

Arduino gauge first attempt

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
Very cool!

You will learn a lot and can have a lot of fun too combining motorcycles and microcontrollers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts