Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Been halfway lurking for a while. I'll pop in every once in a while, but I can't say I've been a huge contributor. I decided a while back that I was tired of seeing people come to forums with a problem, but after they find something that works they never come back to post the solution. So I started recording some of the various things I do to my vehicles in the hopes of helping the next jerk-off.

I fixed up a rashed-badly-by-previous-owners '07 SV650S last winter. It had a shifting issue that I was able to fix, and then did some body work. It's been going great ever since.

When the opportunity came up to snag another cheap SV, I couldn't resist. I'd been drooling over Michael Woolaway's Pike's Peak bike he rebuilt for the 2019 run, "The Beastie."

I decided that was going to be the inspiration for this build. Since it's my 2nd garbage SV I decided on the name "Operation SV2." Progress has been slow for various reasons, but it's nearing completion, at least of the initial phase. I've put a GSXR front end on, with a custom triple clamp and bar risers, swapped the rear wheel for a GSXR unit, and built a custom front number plate/headlight nacelle that'll probably be redone soon. Nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoy the work and tracking my progress.

I've posted several videos to YouTube that may be helpful or at least marginally interesting to people working on SV's. I figured I should start a build page now that I've made some progress. Looking forward to riding and continuing to build and learn from the forum!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been a little bit since the last update. Got it all buttoned up and riding this week. I'd posted previously about my braking woes: on my first shakedown ride the front brakes were rubbing and locked up. I hadn't rebuilt the brakes like I'd considered when I did the GSXR front end swap, and figured I had an issue with either the caliper seals dragging or the MC return port being gunked up.

So I rebuilt the calipers and master cylinder and got new pads while I was at it (the old ones were barely usable anyway). Glad I did. Check out this gunk!

I tried to go for an maiden voyage, and in less than 2 miles my brakes were dragging pretty bad and locked up again. I read around online about this being a known issue in GSXR front end swaps, and the most common reasons were the MC return port being gunked (couldn't be the case with a fresh clean/rebuild, new lines, and fresh fluid) or a cheap/warped brake lever not letting the MC piston return fully. Being as I had bought a super cheap Amazon special lever, I decided to buy some quality equipment and picked up a Vortex brake lever, with a matching clutch lever to replace the one that PO had put on in his quest to fake-carbon out the bike.

Turns out she it just needed me to throw more money at it. So I spent almost $300 rebuilding a brake system, when the problem was the $20 lever to start with. 😖 But, it apparently needed it anyway, and I was going to rebuild the brakes eventually so they were a known quantity. At any rate, the bike is now rideable after almost a year of work. Not "done" yet, but they never are. Few more things to button up to call Phase 1 totally complete. Feels so good though to have it going. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some curvy Texas Hill Country roads that need my attention.

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Nice work, marteney. (y)

We have seen that brake lock up problem posted a few times here on SVRider. The wrong brake lever prevents the MC return port from opening. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting your videos and experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next step I'm taking on the bike is to make a gauge cluster from an arduino. I've kind of been wanting to learn about arduino for the last couple of years anyway, so I thought this would be a good, if challenging project to learn the basics. I've been intermittently working on it for a couple of weeks, and have a functioning proof of concept (at least for a tach). Going to keep plugging away at it as time allows and see if I can make it work. Just using a speedo app on my phone in the mean time.

Arduino gauge first attempt

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Very cool!

You will learn a lot and can have a lot of fun too combining motorcycles and microcontrollers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to get the arduino gauge cluster working on my SV650 really well, the only issue I'm having is getting a functioning odometer to work. Going to do a write up on the gauges and make a video soon. In the mean time, I'd had several people, both online and while cruising around, ask about the cost of upgrading to the GSXR front end. So I thought that'd be a good, quick video to put together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, been a little while since I popped in. Not a whole lot has happened. Well, if you don't count the arduino gauges I built being ripped off my bike by some jackass this winter and someone trying to steal my bikes 3 times in the last couple of months....

Anyway, I rebuilt the arduino gauges and made a video about putting it together. Going to put together a separate video about the code. Hope everyone's having a great summer!

·
MOTORADOR
10,993 Posts
...Well, if you don't count the arduino gauges I built being ripped off my bike by some jackass this winter and someone trying to steal my bikes 3 times in the last couple of months....
Arrghhhh! I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm glad you were able to recreate your work and I'm sure you even improved upon the first iteration.
Please keep posting and contributing with your experiences and knowledge. This is the kind of stuff that makes me love the SV community and keep my faith in humanity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts