Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my first SV toward the end of 2003, the gen2 was still pretty new and cost real $$$. After getting spanked on a FZR600 for 2 seasons I had my heart set on a SV for racing so I bought what I could afford, a nice 2000 with light damage form the local salvage. When it was stolen in October of 2004 I found a 2002 at the same salvage yard and built it into my current PhReAk bike. I also got to fix & re-sell Ben's 2000. I know these bikes very well and respect them alot but I still longed for a gen2.

Yesterday a non-running 2003 copper SVS was posted int he for sale section and I could not let it go. After many e-mails and phone calls the deal was sealed but I had no way to get it. After borrowing my friends 1980's Toyota pick-up that does not idle, barely shifts and has the worst alignment I've ever seen, TonyJuliano and me were headed from Philly to Long Island for a 250 mile round trip in the POS pick-up.

The bike is gorgeous. It does not run but even if it needs a motor it's no big deal. But now I have my fighter'd 2002 which has many mods, low miles and runs uber-strong and a 2003 SVS. The main problem is I've put so much work into my 2002, I also hate copper and I'm not crazy about the SVS styling (I'm a naked guy).

So what will I do now? With more tools then I know what to do with and lots of new found fabrication experience, it's anyones guess.... but odds are this could be something far out...
Do I see a 2003 with a 2002 motor, EFI and a 1972 Kawasaki tail? Hmmmmm.......
 

·
BannedCampCounselor
Joined
·
9,911 Posts
that or you could pick up a motor thats for sale in the FS section.
drop it in the one you picked up, resell, and rebuild the other motor for your frankenbike...
make a couple bux in the process to hopefully pay for the entire project.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Storz said:
I would keep your first gen as your experimental bike and make the 03 a hardcore performance only bike
I can't keep another motorcycle. I now have 3 bikes, a scooter and 2 cars. One of the SV's will eventually have to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
you can do what you want, but i wouldn't start trying to make the new bike into a copy of your old one. you've already proven that you can do something different with the first gen. just putting the tail from the first one on the second one is basically copying what has already been done. even if it was done by you.

i personally want to see some new creative ideas out of you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
schultzboy said:
you can do what you want, but i wouldn't start trying to make the new bike into a copy of your old one. you've already proven that you can do something different with the first gen. just putting the tail from the first one on the second one is basically copying what has already been done. even if it was done by you.

i personally want to see some new creative ideas out of you.
You make a really solid point, thank you. I think you're right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
Here's my vote...

Forget the motor swap cause there aint nothing wrong with that '03 mill.
Keep the plastics, but repaint createively.
Swap out the emulators, springs, shock and cams from the 1st gen.
Keep the Yosh, but buy a header pipe to make it a full exhaust.
Get a PCIII.

Part out the "phreak".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Here's my vote...

Forget the motor swap cause there aint nothing wrong with that '03 mill.
Keep the plastics, but repaint createively.
Swap out the emulators, springs, shock and cams from the 1st gen.
Keep the Yosh, but buy a header pipe to make it a full exhaust.
Get a PCIII.

Part out the "phreak".
Emulators wont be interchangable.... but that idea works too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
Nudist said:
Emulators wont be interchangable.... but that idea works too :)
They can be made to work very easily, I've got secret info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tonyjuliano said:
Forget the motor swap cause there aint nothing wrong with that '03 mill.
It's got 17K on it of unknown riding and maintenance. My 2002 has 7K on it, is in great shape, has the black cases and the cams are already done with valves 100% in spec. Assuming it's a direct drop in why would I not want to swap it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
donniej said:
It's got 17K on it of unknown riding and maintenance.  My 2002 has 7K on it, is in great shape, has the black cases and the cams are already done with valves 100% in spec.  Assuming it's a direct drop in why would I not want to swap it?
Cause a little bird told me it's not a direct drop.

Where the hell is Zoran when you need him?
 
G

·
intake boots,stator,rotor,rear cylinder exhaust tail,gear selector switch and termostat housing is what you need to bolt from new motor to old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
donniej said:
Tony got schooled  ;)

Thank you Zoran!  I was hoping you'd see this post  ;D
How did I get schooled? It's still not a direct drop.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top