Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out a couple weeks ago in my local canyons (read: racetrack... riding too fast and doing generally stupid things I should be mature enough not to do). Coming out of a turn going up one of my favorite hillclimbs, I was looking ahead and on the throttle when I realized one of the familiar potholes in front of me had recently annexed some adjacent land. In my defense, I knew the pothole was there. That's part of the fun of this particular hillclimb, is that it takes a bit of skill to find the line that gets you up the hill in one piece. Well, it was my own fault. Just about the time I realized this pothole had aspirations of becoming its own canyon it was too late. Broke the front wheel (almost in two) and put a good dinger in the rear. Fresh Diablo Rossos too. What a pity. Kept the bike safe though and I didn't go off into the trees or down the mountain.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

5 fingers, check. One wedding ring, check. And fortunately she didn't leave after I did such a stupid stunt; this is one of those lessons learned. Don't race on the road (duh), and don't be stupid when life offers us much more than a cheap thrill on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ah, you bring back memories. Montreal has a casual relationship with road paving and maintenance. Tooting along some major street, came upon two traffic sawhorses partly blocking the road, so logically I went between them. Where the pothole was.

Both steel rims on the RD350 dented. Replaced them with alloy rims from dirt bikes, so an improvement all around. But I admit I was 'concerned' while airborne.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That looks bad, good your ok. Did damage similar to a front wheel hitting railroad tracks with deep broken asphalt right at the steps at Infineon raceway, Vallejo CA northwest on HWY 37.
Are the Diablo Rossos II, or III? How do you like them?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rosso 3s. Had the front for 1-1.5k miles and it was considerably better than my Pirelli Angels. I was only just scrubbing in the rear (150 miles?). Loved it but it had loads more lean than the Angels had so I was getting used to that.
I'm surprised how soft these Pilot Power 2CTs are though, I wasn't pushing today and I saw more lean than I anticipated. They seem to warm up quick and no surprises.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually found a pair on Ebay for pretty cheap (I now realize... jeez these are getting hard to find!). These bikes are getting old aren't they?!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, fortunately. Losing the front end all at once is unnerving but I got it settled down pretty quick. I was wipping those trees on the right with my leathers though. I'm super glad I didn't have to test out my tracksuit on this surface.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing and that is one heck of a pothole did you manage to stay upright and get steered to the side of the road without crashing?
No doubt!!! I that looks like an awfully rough road! Who knows you might’ve rolled into the pothole and then we would’ve needed ropes to get you out

·
Registered
907 Posts
Glad you're okay. Good job on staying upright. That's one heck of an impact. On a positive note, it will make smooth roads seem even smoother.

It does make me wonder where the tax money went that was supposed to be used for road repair, but that's a different subject.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Which road is that? It looks somewhat familiar.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Darn bad luck old Chum :(

Potholes are a bone-of-contention over here in,"Blighty" :mad:

I ride a lot of,"Goat-Tracks" so am sensitized to crappy roads but still have keep a keen weather eye out for them :eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This stretch is along the non-county maintained portion of Sandia Creek in the DeLuz ranchos north of Fallbrook. I have great photos and video of this gnarly stretch but here is a particularly scenic shot:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts