Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking in your mirrors after a set of twisties and noticing your riding buddy isn't behind you anymore.

In this case my riding buddy was my dad.

We have a set of Chatterboxes (they're great BTW). We were talking right before I went through the small set of bends. He was 1/4 mile or less behind me, still visible in my mirrors. Once through the bends I checked my mirrors as usual and kept waiting to see him come through. I waited, slowed down, tried contacting him on the Chatterbox... nothing (sometimes the signal gets lost or whatever). Finally I got paranoid, turned around and slammed through my gears to get back the 1/2 mile or so to the bends (man, the bike was screaming!  ;D).
By the time I got there a guy and his son, who had passed me in the opposite direction, were helping my dad up and picking up his bike. As soon as I got there they jetted. A couple of cagers and a few bikers stopped to make sure we were OK, some even turning around to come back and check.

My dad's bike: 1995 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

The road: Rt. 58 in western PA. Heading east off Rt. 308. This is a rural road that is twisty in sections, with good radius's and good signage. About 5 or 6 weeks ago the tarred and chipped most of the length of it  :mad:. This process has covered the painted lines on the road. For the most part the loose stuff is off the road surface, but of course it's all on the berm.

The crash: Slight uphill grade to the right and then quick left bend. From what my dad said, he must have come in too hot, got into the loose gravel, straightened up and gone off the road. There wasn't much berm to ride. He ended up cutting down a 6 ft. high embankment at an angle, into a field. The front end must have hit a rut and thrown him off.

Damage: (From riding postion) Right side of fuel tank smashed in from handlebar hit. Right handlebar bent down. Gauge and headlight brackets bent. Fly screen shattered. Right mirror and mounting hole (molded into front master cylinder) broken. Tail section on both sides cracked. Taillight lens shattered. Bike ended up laying on its left side. I can't make sense of the damage. Nelson-Rigg pro sphere saddlebags held up fine, but got the clip straps ripped off. The Chatterbox came off the helmet (guess that's why he wasn't responding to me), but with no damage.

Injury: Right knee has a little pain and slightly swollen. Right ankle very swollen, but not broken. Small brushburn on forehead from helmet. Unfortunately he has to take time off of work because of this.

Gear: HJC helmet. Technic jacket with CE approved armour. Regular blue jeans. Side zip leather boots (not motorcycle specific). Leather gloves.

My dad had what looks like a black tire mark on the back of his shirt. He was far from the bike though  ???. His jacket has grass stains on the back, so he must have slid.

I got the bike out of the field and bent things back into position somewhat. He was able to ride it home.

What's funny is that not even 15 minutes before the crash he was stomping me in maneuvering practice in an empty parking lot. Just goes to show that anything can and will happen. I can't imagine how bad the injuries could have been if there had been a guardrail or tree line, etc. off the road instead of an empty field. Now I am researching first aid kits to have with me on the bike. Any suggestions?

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow. Glad your dad is ok. It's just the way that it goes with crashes. Depending on the surrounding environment can mean the difference between a "walk away" crash and a fatal one.

I know my hubby felt the same way when I went down. He was racing a guy up ahead, and I was taking it easy behind, they rounded a corner and I never did (Flat front tire wiped me out. The scariest thing I have ever been through!) They came back looking for me and couldn't find me cuz I was in the ditch. When he finally found me, he said all he saw were my legs sticking out, and freaked. HE didn't think we'd ever ride again.

Yeah right!!! Way too much fun to quit. But I agree with proper gear! Always a must. They are trying to do away with the helmet law here, and it's unreal how many bikers don't want to wear one. I'm extreamly thankful for my helmet. It was scrached all to hell after my crash, and that could have been my face. And when you hear about the fatal crashes, you see a lot of the head injuries were wearing a pair of sunglasses and a skid-lid.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
glad to hear he came out ok.

I agree, its scary lookin in your rearview to notice that your riding buddy is NOT there.
then you look over your shoulder thinkin maybe he's in the "blind spot" and he's not there either.
thats a scary ride as you pull a 180 and zip thru the gears backtracking....

·
Registered
787 Posts
that is the suxxor, glad to hear that ur dad is alright thou, the best first aid is a cell phone, if you so injured u need a first aid kit, ur prob. not in good shape, so leave it to the pros

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow i dont know what i would have done if that happened to me. my father and i are extremely close. i, not even the one who had taken the fall, would have been too shaken up to ride home right away. i would have had a breakdown. glad to hear he is ok

·
Registered
722 Posts
You hit the nail on the head re: The worst feeling. Glad your dad is OK. I had a buddy go down behind me and I thought the same thing...he should be right there...where are the lights...shi...ROAR...bummer.

Yuck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
happened to me recently up in Angeles Crest (local mountain road).  i was riding lead with some friends, and noticed that the rider behind me was no longer.  after a couple more turns, i pulled off to the side and waited...nothing.  that wrenching feeling in your stomach really hits you as you double back expecting the worst around each bend.  he did crash, but luckily it was low speed.  he went wide, straightened up while braking, and losing traction in the dirt along side the road.  he ended up dumping it at around 10-15 mph according to my friends behind him who saw the entire sequence of events.  he had sliders, but still ended up with a bunch of rash on his fairings...no bodily injuries save for a small gash on his inner leg.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Damn I don't have any similar experience to share but I imagine it sucked. Sound like ol' pops is pretty tough though 8)

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
COBRA COMMANDER said:
that is the suxxor, glad to hear that ur dad is alright thou, the best first aid is a cell phone, if you so injured u need a first aid kit, ur prob. not in good shape, so leave it to the pros
Jumping bad grammar Batman!!! I can't believe he actually used the word SUXXOR!

·
Registered
170 Posts
damn...that would have been a terrible feeling realizing Dad was no longer behind you. Glad he is ok though...it could have been worse!

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Glad to hear Dad is okay. May want to give Adam down at Road Rash a call to see if he may be able to lead you to the needed parts for a fix.
I would hoot and holler to PennDOT though. At least so I don't sound like the only crazy out there ;D
They've been on a Tar and chip rampage this summer, screwed up a lot of good riding roads like 136, 993 and Mars Hill. I have made several complaints about this to anyone even remotely connected to repaving. I almost bit it in a pile of chips on 8/7 when I turned onto 653 near Donegal.

Where abouts is Rt 58?

·
Registered
67 Posts
that is a bad feeling, my buddies first day out riding his '05 600rr i noticed he wasnt in my mirrors, and all i could think was "i hope he's okay"

when i got back to him he only had a flat tire...i felt pretty relieved after that, since i was expecting to find him in a ditch

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, that's gotta be a sickening feeling not knowing what happened to him for that 1/2 mile back. I'm glad to hear he's ok.

Shit can and will happen. About two weeks ago I came around a corner and a sack of sand was split open, strewn across the road. I held on for the three feet of two wheel drift and counted my blessings when I regained traction. Looking back, I was glad it was a left hand corner and there was a nice soft embankment just in case. :)

Some things you can control and some things you just gotta do the best you can with what you're given.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts