Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i was riding to work on my favorite back road on my old BMW. I was doing about 65 down a hill when I noticed a deer facing the other way in the middle of the road. he was parallel not across it. By the time I realized he wasn't going to move I grabbed my worthless front brake and even more worthless rear. As I got upon the still standing deer I realized he wasn't going to move,so I passed him on the right at about 15 or 20 ( I would have tried to stop but stll couldn't.) At that moment he zigged as I zagged and ran headlong into the bike throwing me off , with the deer landing on it's stomach (I watched sort of detached as this unfolded) then proceeded to get up and run in the direction he should have run in the first place. Headlight broken and valve cover scrapped, front fender cracked. I am sore on the side I fell but thats it, pretty funny in retrospect (but not to my wife)

·
Registered
266 Posts
DOH!!...

a deer,...

A female deer.... :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a similar incident in my ex's truck when i was learning to drive. Deer was parallel to the road facing away munching grass next to a mail box. I actually brought the truck to a screeching halt right next to him and he proceeded to antler the hell out of the passenger mirror. I was later asked by the ex why I angled the deer to the passenger side...ummm self preservation i guess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Deer have spent the last few million years learning how to run in as random a pattern as possible. Unfortunately that sometimes they run into the thing they are running from.

·
Registered
280 Posts
pokey said:
Deer have spent the last few million years learning how to run in as random a pattern as possible. Unfortunately that sometimes they run into the thing they are running from.
Seems like that particular self-preservation instict wouldn't work all that well. If I were a lion, and the deer ran right into me, I'd be stoked.

Deer don't seem to panic when they should sometimes. I once came to a screeching, sliding halt in my cage and wound up right in between two deer. They just looked up at me and slowly meandered off the road.

·
Registered
476 Posts
glad to hear you're ok.

i am so paranoid of meeting up with a deer while riding. in proficient motorcycling, DLHough says if you see a deer (or other unpredictable wildlife), you should do an emergency stop. i can never do it in practice for some reason. i always slow down a bit, but think "i'm ok, and besides i don't want to stop in the middle of this road." i really need to fix this mind-set.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dumb deer. Glad you're okay. I just narrowly missed a cow not so long ago. A friend and I were riding along, came around a sharp curve, and there were a bunch of cows on either side of the road grazing. No fence. We slowed way down, my friend first, and he went right past them with nary a glance from any of the cows. As I went through, a cow decided that he was supposed to run away in this situation, and started to dart out into the road, but then wisely changed course and went back away from the road. I was only going about 10 mph by then, but it would have sucked to have him run right into me.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
A friend of mine that lives in Indiana state hit a deer at night on a Honda CB900 excpet he was a going about 65 when he hit it. Killed the deer and he spent a few weeks in the hospital. A car found him unconcience in a ditch the next morning, the driver thought he was dead.

So as funny as this seems I'm glad it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
overtorqued said:
Seems like that particular self-preservation instict wouldn't work all that well. If I were a lion, and the deer ran right into me, I'd be stoked.
If the first 60 randomly jumping deer don't run into the lion, then the species will survive. It's like a sacrafice bunt. Plus if the deer's that close to the lion he's goin' down one way or the other. So the lion's gonna' be stoked anyway. The point is; that's what deer do. That's why you should try to emergency stop, so you can try to scare him while he's still Waaaaaaay over there. But don't try to scare a moose.

I love to hunt wild game with my bare hands. If I ever catch one (deer, turkey, whatever) I'm gonna strangle it. I came close to catching a turkey last year. I was delivering a fridge, and the people had been feeding it. I was like this close ->][

·
Registered
53 Posts
I almost hit a cow once. I didn't know the hand signal for "cow" to give to the oncoming traffic, so I made the slow down sign, then I made horns with my fingers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts