Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I was riding the other day and I had to go through a puddle of water and then my bike died. I got it started, but it sounded like it was running on one cylinder. WTF? So I turned it off, and let it sit for a few mins and then started it again. Still sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I get the bike home and let it sit for a few days and finally tonight I had a chance to tinker with it. I don't know, it still sounds like it is running off one cylinder.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
maybe it's running on one cylinder!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Your bike is now a SV325. The front cylinder's spark plug boot apparently has some water in it causing your dead cylinder. This is just what I've heard happen to other members here. It has yet to happen to me.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
take a qtip or pipe cleaner and shove it up the drain hole on the right side of the front cylinder.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
well if one cylinder doesn't fire and the other one does. It's running on one cylinder ;)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The new 02 that I bought for my daughter did that this weekend. She thought she'd run out of gas, so she and I sat on the side of the road for an hour while Dad went for gas. Seems it was just water in the front cylinder that eventually burned out and it ran normal the rest of the day.

I'll be getting some dialectic grease to put around the front plug to keep it from happening again.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
It's a V-TWIN. Why would it run on ONE cylinder?
are you not a mechanic???... and why are you riding it throught puddles... this is a fine piece of japanese machinery...shame on you:nana:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Everybody else has (more or less) said what I would say; water got around the front spark plug boot and is shorting out the spark plug wire. You cannot pull the wire and boot out without loosening the radiator and moving it forward, which you may have to do. It is relatively easy, just a pain.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everybody else has (more or less) said what I would say; water got around the front spark plug boot and is shorting out the spark plug wire. You cannot pull the wire and boot out without loosening the radiator and moving it forward, which you may have to do. It is relatively easy, just a pain.
Actually I can get to it without loosening the radiator;)

Yes, Harry, I do claim to be a mechanic and that ****ed dual sport has me doing all crazy kind of things.

And I can't take it out on Zach. 1. He gives me lots of good stuff! And 2. He's not here:(

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Ok, So I was riding the other day and I had to go through a puddle of water and then my bike died. I got it started, but it sounded like it was running on one cylinder. WTF? So I turned it off, and let it sit for a few mins and then started it again. Still sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I get the bike home and let it sit for a few days and finally tonight I had a chance to tinker with it. I don't know, it still sounds like it is running off one cylinder.
Bring it down to Mike, he can fix it. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
pull the front plug boot off, blow it out with compressed air to dry it out... you can also use a pipe cleaner or the straw end of the compressed air can to blow out the drain that goes from the side of the case to the plug recess...

after it is dried out, slather the inside of the plug cap with some dielectric (has to be dielectric) grease to prevent water from getting inside...

then figure out some way to shield the front plug... the 2nd gens (at least the 05+ bikes) have a flap on the bottom of the radiator to deflect the water away from the plug... but the first gen bikes don't

another option is to get a fender extender for the front... that apparently helps too...

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It's been said, pull the boot, clean the drain hole. You can spray inside the boot and the top of the plug with WD-40 (its original public consumer use was as a water displacer for ignitions).

Dielectric grease on the boot is OK, but I recommend a Hole Shot Fenda Extenda as a permanent cure for puddles or rain.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
It's been said, pull the boot, clean the drain hole. You can spray inside the boot and the top of the plug with WD-40 (its original public consumer use was as a water displacer for ignitions).

Dielectric grease on the boot is OK, but I recommend a Hole Shot Fenda Extenda as a permanent cure for puddles or rain.

yeah... the fender or the rad flap will help... the only thing is with the fender you can still get fling off from the road so it can still get in the plug area...

so by applying the non conductive grease on the plug boot it helps seal the plug so if it does get into the area it won't make it in to the end of the plug as easily... keeping the drain clear is important... most older bikes have this all plugged up with street crud

I like to combine methods... I never had a problem with it on my 99 but the caps were super tight so it sealed well even without the grease... I couldn't really even get the caps off very easy... the drain was clear but I did notice a lot of crap got flung into the plug area... the advantage is I pull into a parking garage at my condo and any water in this area has a chance to dry up well before I shut it down... and my new bike has the flap
but it couldn't hurt to have a little backup...

I wonder if a 2nd gen flap thingy could be rigged to work on a 1st gen... any one try it?

one other good thing about the grease... when it comes time to pull the plugs, the boots slide off easier...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey you and mike are good friends now right? You both have a SV325!!! You will have to start a new area for SV325's. Kinda like the gladius area, The SV325 area. HAHA yea that sucks, but you already have some very good advice to fixing it.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Suzanne you are now part of the "Thumper Squadron" ! SV325 singles could be a trend....

·
Registered
60 Posts
are you not a mechanic???... and why are you riding it throught puddles... this is a fine piece of japanese machinery...shame on you:nana:
bs if it was fine engineering it wouldn't happen

Suzanne you are now part of the "Thumper Squadron" ! SV325 singles could be a trend....
count me in to the "thanks for fixing the known problem Suzuki" club

i need a real bike that can handle real conditions other then 30 nice days each summer

#$#$# $#$# $#$$# $#$#$ #$#$#$ the sv

1 - 20 of 32 Posts