Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so commuting home the other night, about 70 mph, go to switch lanes, hit my signal, and it was if I reached up and quickly turned the key off and back on. Everything cut out, no power, the dash reset, then it all came back on and down the road I went. It happened 3 more times, once with the high-low beam switch. I can't make it happen, its completely random, and I rode the last 15 miles home with no issues. The battery is good and I have no apparent exposed wires or hack jobs anywhere. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sure sounds like you've got a shorted wire. Maybe the left switch assembly is going bad. I hate electrical gremlins. I feel for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I agree with Nova....if it is compeltely limited to that switch assembly(turn signals and high/low switch) then i would just go ahead and tear it apart make sure everything is looking good and probably just replace it anyway...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had this happen to me when I was still in the desert. It seemed to only occur above 5K rpm. Turned out to be rectifier.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
**** it, I was really hoping someone wouldnt suggest that it might be the rectifier. That crossed my mind as well and I know they arent cheap.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check the kick stand switch/ kick stand. if that shorts out or the kick stand comes down it will shut off your bike. Hopefully its not the rectifier

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Considering the rectifier's purpose is to convert AC into DC for the entire system, I would really be surprised if it was bad since the problem seems isolated to the left switch assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts