Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions on rear RACE suspension? imooking at Elka, Penske, and Ohlins (ill look at others if you tell me too) some people on here suggest the Penske, but i dont know why, or for that matter why it would be better than an Ohlins or Elka.

i also dont know if i should just go big and get the best i can or should i get something i cant over-fiddle with (for fear of making it worse or really f---ing it up) any input..?

G

·
Ohlin is to short for your bike.unless you specify and make sure what spring you want it will also come with stock rate spring,again no good for your bike.
Elka is also short.
penske is not that much more if at all(depends where you buy)and works perfect.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean by "too short"? arent they designed for the bike and perhaps race applications? would it make a difference to change the dogbone?

G

·
ROADRCR said:
what do you mean by "too short"? arent they designed for the bike and perhaps race applications? would it make a difference to change the dogbone?
no,they are designed to replace stock unit.they are sprung as stock unit,they are long as stock + whatever you can get out of clevice.this bikes need more ride hight for racing and stiffer springs.so basicly to get it right you need spring in right rate and revalve,longer clevice...
it is simple not right.
however some people can get away with it just fine.
it is your call.I would never buy it.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
You can order them with a different spring of course, and many shops will valve properly to your weight as well. But why bother when the Penske's better, is the question? I got mine very very cheap, is my excuse :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've ran an Ohlins 46HRCL, Penske 8981 double-clicker and 8987 triple-clicker on my 2000 SV over the past two years. The Ohlins performed well once it was sprung and valved correctly for me, but it was a tad short and I used shorter dogbones to raise the ride height. The Penske 8981 is a great shock and has adequate ride height on its own. Again, when it was valved and sprung for me it worked very well and my tire wear on the track was great. The 8987 triple Penske is the last one I had and it is a really great shock. The adjustability is probably overkill for 90% of the track day/racing population, I would only recommend it to people who really like twiddling with adjustments as much as they like riding, or the 10% rider who is going to really be able to use the tuning to maximize lap times on different track surfaces and will seek professional suspension tuning help. We pretty much only sell Penske for the SV, we've sold an Ohlins or two to people who really wanted one, but the Penskes work so well there's really no reason to look elsewhere. You can get that opinion here or pretty much on any of the racing boards where the SV crowd gathers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats cool. ive got nothing against Penske, its just when Ohlins has been "the name" for so long its hard to look away. i can get that DT46? for less than $550 all setup (resprung etc) but am having a hard time finding deals on Penske on ebay or else where. any suggestions? also what length dogbone would you recommend?

G

·
ROADRCR said:
thats cool. ive got nothing against Penske, its just when Ohlins has been "the name" for so long its hard to look away. i can get that DT46? for less than $550 all setup (resprung etc) but am having a hard time finding deals on Penske on ebay or else where. any suggestions? also what length dogbone would you recommend?
you want find deal on Penske in that price unless used which go for around $400-500.but you will not need dog bones with penske either.
I have one new penske at good price if you interested.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ROADRCR said:
That's a pretty good price on the Ohlins if it's actually set up for you. I used the 97mm dogbones with my Ohlins, like THESE except mine were the prototype set so they didn't look as nice! ;D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those were the ones i was looking at, i just didnt know what size. can you explain the difference to me other than ones longer

·
Registered
505 Posts
ROADRCR said:
those were the ones i was looking at, i just didnt know what size. can you explain the difference to me other than ones longer
No difference other than length, depends on how much extra ride height you want to add.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts