Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how it goes.... some projects can just sit in a corner for years, then one day you just *have* to start messing around with it again. For as long as I can remember, Tomy robots have been an entire series of these projects. In fact, I can recall in the mid 1990's many months of my life being spent rewiring walkie-talkies and patching them into computer sound cards... porting DTMF tones and writing visual basic scripts to control these guys via remote control via computer (with camera & IR night vision). Needless to say, this got me serious brownie points for some college projects ;)

I'm 33 years old, I was born in 1975. Omnibot came out in 1985 and when I was 10 years old, this was *the* toy to have... but with a MSRP of $600, it was way out of my price range. Just out of high school (1994) I took up the obsession again and started scouring flea markets every weekend looking for them.... with zero luck. Finally in 1996 or 1997 Ebay began and I shortly there after had my own army of "Deathbots" ;D

Those of you who've been to my apartment know this guy below very well. He's sat in my entertainment center for the past 8 years but hasn't moved probably in the past 4 or 5. My gilrfriend is going to school to teach technology and the thought occured to me that she might be able to use this guy to demonstrate tech.... so off to RadioShack and Lowes I went :)

With a bag full of solder, tape and assorted batteries and holders, I got to work cleaning contacts and replacing the parts destroyed by 25 years of leaky battery's acid. In the end, my 2 Omnibot 2000's made one perfectly good one and one mostly-functional. The rest of the smaller ones will be fixed up in the near future and donated to the shcool she's student teaching at. I figure between the working ones and ones for parts that they can build some pretty cool bots.

Here's the ones I have in my apartment, I still have a few from my younger days somewhere in storage at my Mom's.

Omnibot 2000 in his hayday...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Don's apartment is a collection of the most eclectic, eccentric stuff you will ever find. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What can they do?
Forward, reverse, left, right (2 speed gear box)... head moves, right arm/wrist/hand moves... has headlight eyes, makes sounds and has a tape deck. The tape deck can play music tapes but can also play program tapes that you can pre-record. When you play the tapes back, it does whatever you programmed it to do on the tape. It also has 2 alarm clocks programable by time and day of week that it will either beep or execute a program tape.
And the processor is multi-tasking so it can do multiple motions at the same time.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
hahahahahahah my barber had one of these when I was a kid! circa 1992

2nd from the right

1 - 16 of 16 Posts