Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know anything about late 70's suzukis? i tried to go to the GS forum but i figured you guys are much friendlier.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a '78 GS1000. heres the short version. i have no garage so the bike is outside. it rained last night. rode to work on two, possible three cyliners. figured it was the coils wet. dried out all day, still misfire on cylinder one. pulled the plug to check for spark, and i get shocked through the rubber housing and through the starter button. is it a grounding issue with the coil, need new wires which means new a new coil, or something im missing?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My co-worker has a early 80's gs750 with I believe 250k miles on it. He says he brings it to his buddy once a year for maintenance lol and that's it. He says he's never had problems with it.
I like the gs750's, I'd be tempted to snag it if I saw a good one.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Could be something as simple as dirty wires. High voltage electricity will gladly follow a path of dust along the outside of an insulator- ever wonder why high voltage power line insulators are shaped the way they are?

I'd start by putting everything to spec- make sure the ignition components are clean and dry, all connections and grounding points are clean and corrosion free, and The ignition timing, dwell angle, point gap, etc are all within spec.

Do all that and the problem may well go away.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I had a '78 GS750 and a GS550. The 750 was very reliable, rode all winter in Boston with the bike parked on the street, no cover. Old Suzukis are just old bikes, with old parts and hoses, etc that need replacing every so often. Follow the above advice and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
does anyone know anything about late 70's suzukis? i tried to go to the GS forum but i figured you guys are much friendlier.
You were on GSResources? Usually a very helpful bunch of guys...

Some searching on there ought to get you started, the GS bikes had a few electrical issues (mainly stators) but as with any older bike it's often a good idea to start with the basics, test every component and clean every connection. It's a 30+ year old bike, you really need a manual and to spend some time going through it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You were on GSResources? Usually a very helpful bunch of guys...

Some searching on there ought to get you started, the GS bikes had a few electrical issues (mainly stators) but as with any older bike it's often a good idea to start with the basics, test every component and clean every connection. It's a 30+ year old bike, you really need a manual and to spend some time going through it.
The GS Resources guys are usually very good. They know their stuff.

I am on there, currently trying to rebuild a '79 GS750 into a cafe racer/brat bike type of thing.

One thing I will say, they are more of a restoration crowd and not a "make it something else" crowd.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gotchya. good to know. if all else fails, and since i cant replace just the spark plug wires, ill have to get a coil. time for some cleaning. the previous owner(s) painted the frame with everything still on it. so a good amount of wires are black. geez.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its getting worse! last night i had three firing but now it wont even stay running! noooooooo!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I find it easier to just rewire the bike. I've done my gs650, gs550, and virago. If you take your time and get the right diagram it's not that hard. This way you aren't relying on 30 year old wires. Here's a couple pics of mine.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I had and rode a 77 gs550 for near 20 years!
Darn thing would not die,gave it to my son,
When i bought my 99 sv 650.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Want an old bike to be reliable.....
1) Get a service manual
2) Go through the maintenance check list like no work was ever done
3) Track down any remaining gremlins.

Remember a lot of these older bikes have been neglected, many wear parts don't get replaced (brake lines for example, reccomended 4-5 year lifespan)

·
Registered
200 Posts
The fuse box is mounted under the seat but I don't have any pics of it. The starter solenoid is mounted to the front of the battery box and the ignition is mounted under it. I don't have any good pics but you cn kinda see in them in these pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts