Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I am in the process of searching for my first SV650 and am looking for an opinion.

My maximum budget is $3000.

Do I:

Buy an older 2001/02ish with under 10,000 miles

OR

Buy a newer 2007/08ish with slightly over 20,000 miles?

I have never ridden these bikes before but I like the 2003 and newer as they're fuel injected and have the digital gauges, but is that worth the extra miles?

Or will an older bike with lower miles be worse and cost more in repairs because it has done more sitting.

But will a newer bike with more miles have bigger repairs coming in the near future?

Assume both bikes have been maintained well with scheduled oil changes and ate very close in price.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
20k miles is really not much at all if the bike has been well maintained. Th SV is a very reliable bike and some riders here in the forum have put well above 100k miles to their bikes without any issues.

Keep looking, around here you can find 2006's with 15k miles for $3,000.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd actually prefer the bike have more miles. Stuff deteriorates if it sits. I think sometimes it indicates less maintenance ( not always). Just check out tire, chain/ sprocket conditions really well and ask about recent maintenance. Ask for the owners manual and if the maintenance schedule has been followed fairly closely.

I'd shoot for a newer bike with higher miles all day long. If it needs tires or chain/sprockets then deduct from the price accordingly.

No cosmetic problems are a plus of course. If the owner has lots of riding experience it probably got treated well.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
If you like the 2nd gen, get a 2nd gen. If the miles on the one you found scare you, wait until you find one with lower miles. You appear to already have a KLR650, why be in a hurry and limit your options to those two?

·
Registered
698 Posts
As others have said... when it comes to motorcycles, it ALL about maintenance, not miles. If you like the 2nd gen model better, go for it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Personally, I'd take the newer one with more miles... but granted it hasnt been abused or laid down... $3k is pretty open for SV's though. Just wait it out until you're comfortable on all fronts (condition, paint, miles, year, etc.)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I got tired of coping with carbs.
I got a K3 with 11500 back at the end of '08 for $3200.
Considered it to be an adequate deal.
So far I've got exemplary service from it.
Hope to have it running well for at least another decade.
Don't see any downside yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts