Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through the search results and I just would like a straight answer.

I need to change the oil in my bike before my track day. Is mobil 1 15-50 the oil to got with here in hot AZ?

Thanks

b

·
Registered
597 Posts
Run Syn if you want to spend the $$. Or you can just run a half decent motorcycle 10W40.

If you want better cooling run Watter Wetter for coolant.(Better for the track anyway)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I get the oil for free so that is why I am going to Syn. you say 10-40, I have also read of using 15-50? Yea, I am looking for watter wetter for my track day :D

thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
The owners manual should give you alternate viscosities. I think 10W50 is fine. I will check when I get home.

If you get it for free, by all means do it! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just picked up some Mobil1 MX4T 10W-40 4 cycle. Will this be fine?

on a side note this crap is expensive @ $8 a quart, but like I said free to me ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
10W-50 is direct replacement. But do make sure it is not "energy conserving"

BTW free you say, share the wealth!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point. You should be aware of the type of oil as well.
You should use special motorcycle oil rated SF or SG by the API. If you look on the back of most oil cartons in an Auto Zone type retailer, you will not find SG or SF type oil. Most synthetics are rated SL, SM, CF and that is all I can remember off the top of my head. Look in your manual and go to Dennis kirk and and look a the type of oil not just the viscocity.

BH

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mobil 1 MX4T is a motorcycle oil marketed directly to motorcycle users with a JASC rating specifically for motorcycle use with wet clutches!

·
Registered
105 Posts
personally i use motul 10-40 full syn

·
Registered
27 Posts
Robotben311 said:
I think you guys are missing the point.  You should be aware of the type of oil as well. 
You should use special motorcycle oil  rated SF or SG by the API.  If you look on the back of most oil cartons in an Auto Zone type retailer, you will not find SG or SF type oil.   Most synthetics are rated SL, SM, CF and that is all I can remember off the top of my head. Look in your manual and go to Dennis kirk and and look a the type of oil not just the viscosity. 

BH
You are correct about looking at the 'S' rating of the oils. Motorcycle specific oils have different additives then auto oils. There is much debate over whether a SL oil is okay to run in a wet clutch motorcycle, and a lot of people (like myself) run it because they have never had a problem using them.

There are also a lot of people on this board who run diesel oil (Delvac or Rotella) without problems as well.

I guess the safest thing to do is run a SF/SG oil that is within the recommended viscosity.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I personally would rather spend a few bucks more and know i am using something good and that is it designed for what i own. Rather a few bucks more than possibly alot of bucks later. Im not at all bashing anyone who uses regular oil or non moto oil. This is just my own personal opinion

N

·
0 Posts
phelix said:
I personally would rather spend a few bucks more and know i am using something good and that is it designed for what i own. Rather a few bucks more than possibly alot of bucks later. Im not at all bashing anyone who uses regular oil or non moto oil. This is just my own personal opinion
Thank you! My thoughts too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts