Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm down to either buying a new daytona 675r, or a 2010 rsv4r that is mint and has everything i wanted to do to a bike done already... they are both exactly the same price. these life decisions are tough man...

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
It all depends upon whether you can't live without the power of the Aprilia. And, how accessible an Aprilia dealer/shop is to you. In your area, finding Triumph dealers is not an issue. Have you sat on both bikes? The Aprilia is an exotic compared to the Triumph, is that what you want? I only use the word exotic to mean rarer than the Triumph. For me, the Daytona is too tall and uncomfortable, but I'm not interested in that sort of bike; my older Daytona is not the same animal. Both bikes are excellent, but you already know that. The current issue of Bike mag has a comparison between the Daytona and new MV 675. Very different although they share the same engine displacement. Good luck, either way you'll be happy no doubt. The Aprilia will be more expensive to maintain probably as well. But, maintenance shouldn't dictate a purchase if you have the money and desire to own a certain bike.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Like RMAN said, is there something you can't live without?

That and dealer access / reliable shop access would be the biggest factor (past personal preference on looks and ride style / comfort / all that good stuff)

Personally I think the Daytona is one of the best looking motorcycles on the market (especially the R model) but I wouldn't buy one as it isn't well suited to what I do / want from a bike.

The other BIG thing is engine layout / displacement. Personally I've not yet ridden a triple and my only experience with a v4 was with my dads old cruiser. Which one will work best for you?

·
Registered
521 Posts
If they are the same price and the RSV4 is already set up how you want it would be a no brainer for me. Don't get me wrong the Daytona is a fantastic bike, especially the R but I'd rather have the extra the hp and the V4 engine is just such a great engine. Good mid range grunt and the high end rush, that bike is a riot to ride and its very compact for a liter bike. I can't say I've ever ridden the Daytona (although I'd love to at some point) but unless you specifically don't want the extra hp I'd go with the RSV4 easily. I'd be surprised if maintenance was much different, if you need a part for either it originated in Europe and will have a Euoropean price attached, it's not like you are comparing an Italian bike with a Japanese bike. Plus both bikes are known to be well built bikes without any major problems (so far at least). Let us know which you wind up with, and make sure to show some pics! Either bike will be a riot and if you are moving from an SV to this bike the performance of either one will blow your mind in comparison. Happy hunting!
Toran

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
You've checked the insurance rates for both I gather? If not...you probably should add that information to your decision board. Somehow, I'm thinking the Ape will be more expensive than the Triumph.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
The rsv4's have a plastic gas tank that is known to bubble and eventually leak with the use of gasoline blended with EtOH. Being a 2010, it may be out of warranty, and a new tank is a major expense. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The rsv4's have a plastic gas tank that is known to bubble and eventually leak with the use of gasoline blended with EtOH. Being a 2010, it may be out of warranty, and a new tank is a major expense. Caveat emptor.
Well that's food for thought for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An RSV4 already setup the way you want vs. a Daytona 675 that will need mods to make it what you want...and they are the same price? No brainer!

The RSV4 is the right choice!

When it comes time to sell, you will find the liter bike a much easier "sale" than the 675cc bike, too. That is just a fact of life in America. We like bigger and faster.

I love the looks of both bikes and I think the Daytona 675 is probably the better "real world" fun bike of the two. But riding and ownership are about the passion you feel for a bike and every m/c test I've read just raves about the feel, sound, and power of the RSV4. For equal money, you know which bike you MUST have - the RSV4!
Michael in Aurora, CO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tough choice as they are both great bikes but I would have to lean towards to the Aprilia. The 675R is probably the better every day bike but the RSV4R is just pure sex especially in both looks and sound as well as the power.

·
Banned
686 Posts
You've checked the insurance rates for both I gather? If not...you probably should add that information to your decision board. Somehow, I'm thinking the Ape will be more expensive than the Triumph.
If you have to base your decision on which motorbike to buy on how much your insurance will cost, you shouldn't be riding a motorbike in the first place.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Aprilia. No question. If the Aprili and the Triumph are the same money, the Aprilia is much more bike for the money.

I am not sure about the plastic tank comment. As I understand it, the RSV4 uses a hidden fuel tank under the seat. The visible "tank" is a faux tank that is just cladding over the air box and filler. I am not aware with any problems with this system.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Fuel tank expansion happened with the older RSV's but I've not heard of the issue on the RSV4. Also the tank expands a bit but I've never once heard of the tank cracking and leaking, I have a an '03 and am on the Ape board a fair bit and not once heard of tank failure... internet rumors...

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
My Triumph going on 15yrs has a plastic tank and does not leak or show signs of swelling. However, some owners of the ST of similar vintage have had issues with this. Ducati of course had a class action law suit over bad plastic tanks made by Acerbis, but not all tanks suffered this fate, but the problem was certainly real. Triumph switched back to a steel tank for the ST model because of this. Monsters and Multistradas from this period had issues, but I don't know about Aprilias.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you have to base your decision on which motorbike to buy on how much your insurance will cost, you shouldn't be riding a motorbike in the first place.
Pretty much everyone at least takes into consideration how much they will have to fork over to the insurance company on a bike purchase. For some people the bike they want is worth any insurance cost, for others who aren't dead set on a bike this might be a factor in narrowing down the choices.

Nobody said to base the decision on insurance alone, only to factor it into the list of pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
get the Aprilia!!!

'course it's not gonna turn like the SV, but, NOBODY'S gonna beat ya down a straight!!!!

·
Banned
686 Posts
get the Aprilia!!!

'course it's not gonna turn like the SV, but, NOBODY'S gonna beat ya down a straight!!!!
:lmao:

Clearly, you have little to no knowledge if this machine. Not that I expected much else from a forum geared to-wards the SV model, but still... at least pretend to be unbiased. ;D

The RSV4-R is a fantastic machine, with the best of both worlds when it comes to engine configuration. Throttle response is immediate thanks to the "ride-by-wire" system, and the push-button electronic shifting is seamless. I swear it's like the clutch never even disengages/re-engages. Suffice it to say it's much better than the new 1199 Panigale.

This thing is not a GSX-R. Simply because your SV will out-corner your neighbor, does not translate into all faired superbikes being inferior to Suzuki's SV models. The RSV4-R is a perfect example.

Think the base model is too vanilla for you? Up to the Factory, and you'll find yourself replacing more pants than tires. With full Ohlins all around, carbon where it counts, adjustable chassis... the list goes on. The bike is made from aluminum, steel, carbon fibre, and sadism.

If you were closer to SE Virginia, I'd invite you to the shop to take a good look at the RSV4's, which I think would make the decision much easier. But as I don't know what dealers are close to you, I'll still invite you to inquire, as that's just how we work. Fly into the local airport, pick up the bike, and ride it home. Easy-peasy, chicken dinner. :thumbsup:

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
You haven't mentioned ergonomics. AS lovely as it is, and as nice the combination of power and agility might be, the Daytona can be a pretty uncomfortable little scalpel for a lot of riders. I don't know much about the RSV4's ergos. But ergonomic fit can be a much more important factor in how much you'll enjoy your ride than HP curves, 1/4 mile or lap times in a magazine.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts