Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my second set of chain/ sprocket combo from the same vendor.  At 12,000 miles I did the 520 conversion, so at 21,000 miles I wanted the same set up as I had last time around. Small problem Vendor states they have no 45 tooth rear sprockets, but he has a 46 so I got that. No biggie.

So I go about swaping the drive chain, sprockets, as before. I notice the front sprocket has a different off set, call the vendor and I am told I have the right part.  I tell the vendor the drive chain will not line up it is a good 1/4 inch off front to rear.  I  tell him I had the offset, or raised area on the old sprocket to the inside on the countershaft. I am told " well you had it installed wrong" I tell him it lined up perfectly fornt to rear for the last 9000+ miles.  The first sprocket had no directional arrow on it the "new" one does, to follow the arrow the off set would be on the outside ( opposite of what I have now IE lined up) like about a 1/4 inch off! I pulled my old reciept, different part numbers, The vendor tells me they no longer stock the one I had, there must be something wrong with your bike, perhaps you lost a spacer for the rear wheel..... i am not missing anything I know of, I am the only one who has ever worked on this bike. Attached are some pics please let me know if I am over thinking this, or if I should send all this sh!t back and order fron someone else. Bottom line the vendor backs that they sent all the right parts.  I just think the parts should line up as before. Please advise. I sent all the same pics to the vendor.

Side view new sprocket on the right.

Top view new on right

Old set up

Potential "new" set up

N

·
0 Posts
I don't know why your stuff doesn't line up, but your vendor is correct: the flat side goes toward the gearbox (in). If it didn't you would need a corresponding offset on the rear sprocket when you went to the narrower chain. Keep looking!

:)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Zip,

If I recall, when I did my 520 conversion, my front sprocket doesn't line up with the chain guide either. How does it look when you have everything mounted up? Does the new front line up with the new rear, or is it off? Also, it doesn't look like your old front is worn much at all. Maybe send the new front back, and get a different one from another source? You could probably run the old front for a little bit and not really affect the life of your new chain.

Good luck, man.

og

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I wouldn't put that "new" one on if it were mine. FWIW, my "new" front sprocket that I just put on last month or so, looks just like your " old" one. I think it's a Vortex, but can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just did the 520 conversion too.

1. The sprockets and chain didn't line up exactly over the middle of the chain guide as stated. It was a little off, but the sprockets themselves lined up perfectly.

2. The offset went on the outside. I couldn't get it on the other way at all.

N

·
0 Posts
As you know, the 520 chain is narrower than the 525, but the reference plane (inside face of countershaft sprocket to inside face of rear sprocket) is the same so it won't be centered over the chain guide. The entire chain/ sprocket assembly shifts inboard by the difference in width between the two chains.

:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied. After countless measurements and a decent amount of time spent toiling in the garage, I was wrong. The 520 should be mounted as the vendor, nc-650 and others stated. The good news I verified a ?bad? set up will still get 10000+ miles. Now it?s off to the shed for my punishment.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
DOn't worry zip... I did the samething. Except mine... we straight when I put the spacer to the inside. I'll pay more attention this time... well, maybe I won't, as Im going back to the 525... And that's only because they AFAM didn't have any 520 sprockets for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts