Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.....im lookin into gettin a first bike, and ive been lookin into the sv650s....for the first part, i like how it looks...lol....i dont know a whole lot about bike....im coming in from the car world....lol....so yea, i had a couple of questions.....first....r these bikes n e good as first bikes...i used to dirtbike, so riding it isnt goin to b very diffucult, but....r these known to have n e problems?? and......what year should i look for in a bike, or stay away from...and....r there a whole lot of modifications for these bikes....and beacuse its not tooooo common of a bike, hows the insurance lookin on these thing?? thanx....

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
All of your questions have been asked and answered many times. It all comes down to opinion on almost all of them. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
An SV can be a great beginner bike, or not. All depends on you, how will you ride it? No major problems that I can think of, a few little things maybe but nothing any more outstanding then another bike.

Year is all oppinion I think. First gen (99-02) is carb, 03+ are FI. I like the style of the first gen myself, but thats just me. There are too many mods to list, so no worries there. Insurance shouldn't be a problem, it generally is pretty easy.

I am going to restrain myself here, but I must say, you have awful grammar and your post is rather difficult to read. Many members will likely ignore it as a result, just a heads up.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Come on Airman I know you can type better than that.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Go buy a freaking SV already!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok...well im sorry. i was in a huge hurry when i posted this post. i hope the grammer on this post is a little bit better. haha.but thanks for all your the input on the bike. but one more question i had... are they hard to work on myself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
but one more question i had... are they hard to work on myself.
Depends on if you can work on stuff now. They are easy to work on especially with all the help you can get from this site. Maintenance is a breeze: tire pressure, oil, chain lube and tension are all you have to worry about for the most part and the bike will just keep running.

The SV was my first bike and I love it. The only thing i would warn is that the throttle is much more sensitive than any other bike I have ridden-- again it was my first street bike so I was learning.

GET one! you will love it.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
ok...well im sorry. i was in a huge hurry when i posted this post. i hope the grammer on this post is a little bit better.
Ask your supervisor for a copy of the "The Tongue and Quill". They'll know what it is.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
HEY................

I work on my bike and I'm a girl. And I try not to misspell too many things. :D
No, no, no, I meant as in "teenage girl texting"....I have a 16 year old daughter and even if I wanted to read what she was texting with her friends........I couldn't without the help of a translator! :D

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
No, no, no, I meant as in "teenage girl texting"....I have a 16 year old daughter and even if I wanted to read what she was texting with her friends........I couldn't without the help of a translator! :D
Aw, the 25,000 per month thing. :tard: IDK My bff Lisa....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ask your supervisor for a copy of the "The Tongue and Quill". They'll know what it is.
+100 on that, reading these posts makes my head hurt, His EPR's should be interesting.???

Just buy the SV man you will love it, it is my second street bike and I am having a blast. The only problem I have faced is wondering why I didn't buy it sooner.

Good luck. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
insurance is pretty cheap, im 20 with a clean record and my 01 nissan truck(which im making payments on) and my 03 sv650s are both under allstate

at first i was paying 52 a month for just the bike, when i put my truck under allstate, the bike dropped to 42 and my truck was like 119 or something

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Jesus!! Go see your first shirt because your typing just took time out of a Captain's day. I thought is was my p!ss-poor reading comprehension at first, but after making some corrections I can finally understand what was intended.

Hi, I'm looking into getting a first bike and ive been looking into the sv650s. I like how it looks, but i dont know a whole lot about bikes. I'm coming in from the car world and I have a couple of questions. First, are these bikes any good as first bikes? Iused to ride dirtbikes, so riding it isn't goin to be very diffucult. (paragraph)

Are these known to have any problems? What year should I look for, or stay away from, in a bike? Also, are there a whole lot of modifications for these bikes? I ask beacuse its not too common of a bike. Finally, how is the insurance looking on these things? Thanks.
It's a great bike and give few problems to those who take care of them.

It's debatable on whether these bikes are good beginners' bikes. I know people who've done just fine, but there are some who've died on the SV. Take the MSF course.

When it comes to modifications, the sky is the limit.

I'm a Captain, 27 years old, spotless driving record and full coverage would cost me over $1000/year with geico. Some have better luck than I.

I'm sorry. I was in a huge hurry when I posted that. I hope the grammar in this post is a little better, but thanks for all your the input. I have one more question, are they hard to work on myself?
That would depend on how mechanically inclined you are. It's a very subjective question that I'm afraid only those who know your abilities can answer.

Also, you're not typing on a cell phone. Use the space-bar, shift-key and lighten up on the punctuation.

Good call SSgt! See the shirt for your cookie ;D

·
Registered
151 Posts
"The Tongue and Quill", I give a copy of it to my troops...along with that wonderful little brown book (Air Force Rank Structure)....this is what the Air Force is coming to now.....I've got a troop that doesn't know how to spell all that well, can't properly speak his mind or put a sentence together....maybe its just that I put the fear of God in him haha....guess its time to "lighten" up on him. Anyway, the SV is a great bike...I love mine to death. Just treat her right and don't abuse her to much and she'll take care of you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts