Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the synthetic post seems to be getting so much attention, I thought it'd be a good idea to see what SVRiders are putting into their bikes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Mr L to the woot K M has an SV. The socalled SV is running on nothing but hope, dreams and baby batter!!!

;)

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I use Red Line. I know it is really expensive. It works really well. I can feel the difference in that the engine is nicely rev happy. It winds up much faster than with any other oil I have found. It shifts very smooth!

.....and i get a bit of a discount.... it helps.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have reasoning for my opinion that oil is oil

sure, heres do doubt that Motol 300 is a better oil than Quaker State, so what, it can suspend more solids, has better shear strength to withstand more miles before it breaks down

the reason it really doesn't make a difference, is cause if you follow the OEM maintenence schedule, the Quaker state is still lubricating properly, cleaning deposits throughout the 3750± miles you have the oil in your SV

When does it pay to put in a more expensive oil ? when your going on a 6000 mile trip, put the motul 300 in, and have no worries that the oil will still be doing its job for the extended maintenance period

Even Energy conserving oils are not going to hurt the engine, so long as you change the oil before it has lost it's properties, energy conserving oil has no additives that make clutches wear faster, it just doesn't have the properties requires to keep it from breaking down quicker than oils that have more phosporus & zinc in them

what hurts an engine, is leaving the oil in after it has lost it's properties, yet at the same time, it's not necessary to increase your change frequency unless you ride in some extreme conditions

·
Registered
413 Posts
I used to use Neats foot oil.. You could lube your engine and condition your leathers with it... Neats are now on the endangered species list so it's outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I had dino Mr T through the summer...changed to synth Mr T for the winter.  My only reason being I was so happy with the Rotella that I wanted to stay with it, but wanted a thinner viscosity for the cold weather.  Regular Rotella is 15w40, synth rotella is 5w40.  Will probably go back to regular this summer.

here's some info from their site:
http://www.rotella.com/qa/answerresult.php?rowid=239

1 - 12 of 12 Posts