Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new air filter over the weekend, and i noticed air filter cleaner and oil for sale by lots of companies that, as far as i know, don't make air filters. are these just for foam or k&n-style filters, or is it common to clean and oil a regular paper filter?

i've never heard of doing this, but i just noticed the oils and i wondered what for.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Nope you don't clean the OEM air filter with oil. You can blow some dust out of it but that is it. Those oils you saw are for the foam and K&N stuff.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yep don't oil a paper or fuzzy filter. Only foam, k&n or something like that, usually if your filter comes oiled then you oil it, unless it's foam those don't come pre-oiled.

For the stocker, just knock the dust off by tapping it on something with the dirty side facing what your tapping it on, and blow it out with compressed air, again blow it out from the clean side, if you put the air on the dirty side it's just going to push the dirt deeper and eventually it'll work its way all the way through and into your engine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have a bmc air filter. the local dealer told me to buy a [email protected] recharge kit because that is the brand they sell but said it would work fine. first i just wanted to check that bmc filters are rechargable, and then if the [email protected] recharge kit will be fine? also how many times is good to recharge a filter? are you just soppose to do it once or can it be done multipule times?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with k&n's you can wash and re-oil them forever. i had one on a car, and i believe it said they're good for a million miles. bmc are also rechargeable, and k&n recharge kit will be fine. lots of companies that don't make filters make filter cleaners and oils, i'm sure any of them are fine, including k&n.

performance filters don't really do anything for performance on the sv, but for the $50 a k&n cost, you've just paid for 2 stock filters, and never have to buy another one. seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
^ what he said, only I would'nt just put any filter oil on any filter, K&N oil would be fine if it's an element type filter, but I would'nt put anything else on it, most filter oils you buy in your local shop are "high tack" oils, their about as thick and sticky as melted gummy bears, those are for foam filters ONLY!, I doubt seriously that an element filter would even flow air with those thick sticky oils on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts