Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know everyone isnt into the whole stunting scene, and personally, i love the twisties way more... but ocassionally i like to mess around in this big industrial lot with some other friends.

anyways, i learned how to shift into second gear while having the front end up today. i can get it on the balance point in second gear and ride them for a pretty good distance now. ive also been playing with second gear power ups while standing up and ive had good luck with riding them a decent ways as well.

i heard a while back that if you ride alot of wheelies you can starve the front cylinder for oil. i definately dont want to do that, and wheelies arent worth my engine, but could someone verify that? can i just add some more oil into the engine?

just curious..

O

·
0 Posts
Adding too much oil to the engine will do mkore damage then starving the front end of oil for a few seconds.

I would keep an eye on your clutch cable to make sure it is adjusted exactly correct to help ensure you don't destroy your clutch faster than you have to. But, expect to burn through a clutch eventually when you beat it up like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like i said, im not into it like alot of other guys, i just like messing around every now and then.

i heard some of the gsxr guys that are into stunting put extra oil in the engine to keep it from starving of oil.

how can it hurt the engine? the only problem with extra oil is the risk of it hitting the piston rings and getting into the combustion camber. i dont see how it can harm the engine unless you put ALOT of extra oil in there.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
extra oil creates drag on parts that aren't meant to be under oil.

It'll also start getting flung around and find its way out of the seals and breathers.

I don't think an extra quart will "hurt" anything but it won't help as the pick-up is towards the front of the engine :wink:

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
onepointone said:
like i said, im not into it like alot of other guys, i just like messing around every now and then.

i heard some of the gsxr guys that are into stunting put extra oil in the engine to keep it from starving of oil.

how can it hurt the engine? the only problem with extra oil is the risk of it hitting the piston rings and getting into the combustion camber. i dont see how it can harm the engine unless you put ALOT of extra oil in there.
Too much oil in an engine allows the turning rotating parts of the lower end to churn in the oil......... foaming it up.... which then could allow the oil pickup to get air, and then you would actually have an oil starvation problem.

O

·
0 Posts
onepointone said:
Since when is oil getting into the combustion chamber past the rings not "bad"? Start buringin oil, start coating the inside of your combuistion chamber with grime, start getting misses, start ...etc etc.etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oxi-Rider said:
onepointone said:
Since when is oil getting into the combustion chamber past the rings not "bad"? Start buringin oil, start coating the inside of your combuistion chamber with grime, start getting misses, start ...etc etc.etc.

If you read what he said/implied....He didnt say it wasnt a problem....your not going to force oil past the rings unless you added way way too much...like double normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jonesdb said:
Oxi-Rider said:
onepointone said:

If you read what he said/implied....He didnt say it wasnt a problem....your not going to force oil past the rings unless you added way way too much...like double normal.
thank you.

i know its a problem when it gets past the ring. im not an idiot when it comes to mechanics by a long shot, i was just wondering about oil starvation. has anyone ever heard of a motor messing up from just constant wheelies? i mean, i know if you beat the shit out of it all the time, its going to mess up. im not even worried about my engine, much less doing wheelies, im just curious as to what other people have actually experiened.

the whole "oil foaming" thing is a good concept, but i dont know if i buy it. i have never heard of oil foaming because of this. as you move around, the oil moves to different sides of the oil pan, same with cars, and it is going to submerge the crankshaft a little bit in oil. i dont really know where im going with that, but i just dont see oil foaming because of that.

im not saying it couldnt happen, so dont get offended, just my thinking on things.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Oil starvation with both gens of these bikes is well known and documented. The location of the oil pickup causes this when the front is lifted for extended periods of time. Suzuki actually issued a recall on the first couple of years to install a plate that made the problem less severe.

I know of a couple of persons who have blown engines due to this issue. Don't confuse this with the 2nd gen crank problems which can probobly be traced to clearance changes made by Suzuki along with a possible change in suppliers.

If you ride prolonged wheelies, you will probobly damage your engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
onepointone said:
the whole "oil foaming" thing is a good concept, but i dont know if i buy it. i have never heard of oil foaming because of this. as you move around, the oil moves to different sides of the oil pan, same with cars, and it is going to submerge the crankshaft a little bit in oil. i dont really know where im going with that, but i just dont see oil foaming because of that.
Believe it. It can happen with nearly every kind of engine, including bikes and cars. Overfilling oil is/can be BAD and will foam the oil. Foamed oil is nearly the same as no oil at all.

I am a Auto Mechanic and have seen it happen before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TRaGiK said:
onepointone said:
Believe it. It can happen with nearly every kind of engine, including bikes and cars. Overfilling oil is/can be BAD and will foam the oil. Foamed oil is nearly the same as no oil at all.

i am also a mechanic. i have been working at a lexus dealership for 2 years, and have been around cars since i was 13. i just have never seen it before.

thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
onepointone said:
i am also a mechanic. i have been working at a lexus dealership for 2 years, and have been around cars since i was 13. i just have never seen it before.
Fair enough, but how many times have you seen people over fill their Lexus by a quart or more? How many times have you personally done it for extended periods of time too see what happens?

This is not meant as a flame to you, or to discredit you....

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
onepointone said:
TRaGiK said:
onepointone said:

No offence, but if you are any kind of mechanic you should know that over filling can foam the oil. It's engine 101 stuff, not some magical excuse to not wheelie.
It's really a common knowledge thing.
thanks for the responses. :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Matoo said:
onepointone said:
TRaGiK said:
onepointone said:

No offence, but if you are any kind of mechanic you should know that over filling can foam the oil. It's engine 101 stuff, not some magical excuse to not wheelie.
It's really a common knowledge thing.
thanks for the responses. :?

calm down... dont go trying to say im some shitty mechanic because i missed that part of 'engine 101'... :roll:

i never said i didnt think it could happen, i had just never heard of it.

T

·
0 Posts
dont add more oil, theres a maximum level reccomended so go up to that if you must but no higher or you could 'flood' the rear andstarve the front which would probably produce all kind of strange results. i agree on checking your clutch, dont waste it too quick, they can be expensive to sort out.

on the subject of foaming oil, im staying well out of it but just to be on the safe side, oil can only foam up if you over fill your engine right??

thanks, trick ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea, look at me, im suuuuch a badass because i can do wheelies ::)

i never said it was cool. i was just asking a question, i got my answer, shit, i even got made to look like a little bit of a dumbass. im cool with that, but you havent added anything to the thread except that stupid comment.

Y

·
0 Posts
Wow, I'm being ragged on by a wheelie toting newb. Well hey there little fella, go ahead an blow your motor up. I will be sure to make the same post when you have a thread in the wanted section, "Needed SV Motor, because Im a complete jackass". ;D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts