Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i put everything back together for a test run and it would appear that the oil retainer seal for the push rod failed and it drained a nice puddle of oil under the bike. so basically i am wondering how to get that seal out to replace it since i looked in the service manual and didnt see it.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
It is in there.

To get it out without scarring/tearing it's outer rubber is almost impossible. I suggest fishing it out with a screw driver or even the push rod. 10$ fix, buy two, do not reuse the seal because chances are, it has a small hairline tear in the rubber from the raw metal edge of the hole it goes in, which will cause an oil leak/drip.

Remove master clutch cylinder, front sprocket cover, the sprocket, retainer clip that holds it from flinging out, and fish it out from the block. The 2003 is a slightly different design, it may not have the retainer or the retainer lets it leak and there is a fix for that if it does.

Sounds like it got pushed in, by puddle description. When replacing, a trick would be to use a socket that is large enough to push the seal in and stop when the socket hits the hole's metal edge.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah frustrating though. i did fish it out and spears told me that the seal never fails and to fish it out and clean it off and try it again. i did what he said and it still leaks a little.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the problem im running into is the aluminum sleeve that goes around the pushrod between the sprocket cover and the seal is what pushed the seal in. if that piece is not needed to operate the bike please let me know. if running the bike without that piece will mess things up, please let me know that as well

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
the problem im running into is the aluminum sleeve that goes around the pushrod between the sprocket cover and the seal is what pushed the seal in. if that piece is not needed to operate the bike please let me know. if running the bike without that piece will mess things up, please let me know that as well
That is the spacer to the cover bolt, not the push rod, it is designed to hold the cover out and in place. You can put it on the push rod a thousand times and when you pull the clutch in to start it, you will blow a thousand seals.

Still leaks? Replace it. BTW, on the 2003 models, the seal is prone to leak/ fail. A newer seal and retainer should address that issue.

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol funny how the manual diagram made that alumimun sleeve appear to go on the push rod. so i should pull that seal out and not have that sleeve on the push rod and perhaps it will get me by for a while. now i was told from spears enterprises that i could clean off that seal and use it again. im not against getting a new one, but im getting tired of being without a vehicle.

i also found it funny that i ordered a fender kit and it came with no hardware bolts and no instructions. but it did however have 2 empty plastic bags inside with someone elses address on it and what appeared to be a shredded report card from someone's kid's school. lol someone was being naughty and hiding bad grades in my fender kit

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2552348

I don't know Spears Enterprises and never heard of them, until now. I don't agree with them. A hair line scratch on that specific seal can cause a leak. That is why I bought mine in two and suggest you do the same.

You need the spacer, as it holds the sprocket cover out on the left side so that it is nice and flat mounted so your push rod can penetrate the cover to reach the clutch master cylinder. The the clutch master cylinder attaches to the front of the cover, over the clutch push rod hole. The spacer helps align the complete assembly for smooth and pricise operation of the push rod.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes thank you very much. correctly placed the spacer and reset the seal and so far its holding fine. no oil drops after the test run up to 90 mph on a big country block.

im thinking my master cylinder has a leak. still got a funny feeling in the clutch handle once in a while when letting the clutch handle back out the clutch doesnt engage the gears. gotta squeeze it a few times and then it hisses a little by the handle. im seriously thinking out the cable conversion kit and just ditching the hydrolic clutch

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
You're welcome.

Check and clean the cylinder caliper, also try bleeding all of the air out of it. Time for a fluid change isn't it? That is the best way to ensure no air is trapped anywhere in the line, plus it will be fresh. The push rod also needs cleaned greased everso lightly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the slave cylinder seems to be fine its the master cylinder (clutch handle area) where the hiss comes from. but i will try to bleed it again and hopefully that clears it up

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I don't know why I keep referring it as the master, I think it has something to do with the caliper....errr......um......cylinder. ;D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think it has to do with my clutch springs not being tight enough. basket cover and metal plate lost contact and were not in mesh with each other thus allowing my slave piston to travel to the max and become stiff with pressure. but wasnt able to push basket enough to re align the teeth until i loosened the springs a little then it went right back to normal once i re alligned the teeth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts