Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

2005 SV650 fuel-injected...just pulled it out of storage for the summer.

Changed the oil last fall...but initially no oil was showing in the sightglass (yep, it was level and there was the appropriate amount in there) both running and not running.

The catch is that when I pulled the oil fill plug off, it dropped back into the sight glass. So now every time I ride it, no oil shows up in the sightglass at anytime (running or not running, pre or post ride) until the plug is pulled.

From what I've heard, you don't necessarily see oil in the sightglass when the bike is running, but I'm not sure why I wouldn't see it before and after.

I'm wondering if the oil pump is pulling everything up and not releasing it after the bike is off(?) or is some type of vacuum created internally(?) (through normal engine operation or possibly with the temperature swings as the bike sits in the un-heated garage). It's Iowa and March so the ambient temperature is all over the place.

Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
You don't see the oil before you run the engine because it's in the bottom of your crank case. You don't see it when it is running because it is moving around in the engine.

To properly check your oil....you need the engine at operating tempetures, let the bike sit level(not on it's side stand) for about 5 mins and the check your site glass. it should be between the middle and the top. About 3/4 full. If you top off your oil without the engine having been run, you could possibly overfill the oil. And you don't want that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This might or might not sound obvious, but make sure you are on level ground, both tires on the ground, and the bike completely vertical when checking the oil level inspection window.

I noticed that my oil level shows lower when my bike is parked in my Baxley chock. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify, the oil does not show up at any time until the plug is pulled and there is a significant pressure release when that happens. I've ridden the bike and warmed it up well, looking at the sightglass with the bike centered on level ground...no joy.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This is not normal. With my 07, I can see the oil anytime I level the bike. The oil filler cap does not have to be removed. Also, I see very little difference between when its fully cold, and hot after I shut down. I agree that the best time to check is when the engine is at least warm and allowing a few minutes to sit. Nonetheless, for my bike I see almost no difference. You may have some kind of breather hose problem. Call the dealer and ask.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So......when you take the oil filler cap off you notice a vacuum/pressure and the oil drops back where it should be? That sounds odd to me but I'm not a mechanic.

I have a few ideas:

Check the two crankcase breather hoses and make sure they're not kinked or blocked. I'm thinking if they're not vented it could cause pressure in the crankcase and you're screwed up oil issue. If that doesn't solve the problem drop the oil and get a new oil filter. Sometimes the filters are defective so that could be another thing to look at/replace. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I'm with jgennaro. Something is probably plugging the breathers. There's something not quite right with that theory, because usually plugged breathers will eventually either blow clean or blow off the engine (due to blowby). Still, it's easy enough to check. You shouldn't have pressure or vacuum in the engine after stopping.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm with jgennaro. Something is probably plugging the breathers. There's something not quite right with that theory, because usually plugged breathers will eventually either blow clean or blow off the engine (due to blowby). Still, it's easy enough to check. You shouldn't have pressure or vacuum in the engine after stopping.
+2

Check for Mice. I had one of the little *******s (couldn't kill 'em though - trapped him and let him go in the local park with my daughters.. LOL) clog up one of my breather hoses in my Hawk. When I pulled off the airbox there was about 5 lbs of sunflower seeds (and 3 lbs of mouse crap). Caused me all kinds of grief until I figured it out, including oil puking into my airbox.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
+2

Check for Mice. I had one of the little *******s (couldn't kill 'em though - trapped him and let him go in the local park with my daughters.. LOL) clog up one of my breather hoses in my Hawk. When I pulled off the airbox there was about 5 lbs of sunflower seeds (and 3 lbs of mouse crap). Caused me all kinds of grief until I figured it out, including oil puking into my airbox.
any pics of that? incredible!

·
Registered
704 Posts
any pics of that? incredible!
Haha, sadly no... I should've though to snap some pics though. Little phucquers literally stole as much sunflower seeds out of my birdfeed container as they could stuff into that airbox... Amazing how much better a bike will run when you figure that out and clean it all up! lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is not normal. With my 07, I can see the oil anytime I level the bike. The oil filler cap does not have to be removed. Also, I see very little difference between when its fully cold, and hot after I shut down. I agree that the best time to check is when the engine is at least warm and allowing a few minutes to sit. Nonetheless, for my bike I see almost no difference. You may have some kind of breather hose problem. Call the dealer and ask.
same for my 07 too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts