Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I noticed today after only riding my bike a few blocks that there was a leak under it. It was directly under the tubes that run down on the right side of the engine. The fluid was defiantly oil. What would cause this and is it a cause for concern. I just bought this bike it only has a couple thousand miles on it. Also I just changed the oil.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Well if it came from those tubes...it shouldn't be oil. How big of a puddle? Check the level window?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The puddle was small only maybe 3inches in diameter? The oil level is perfect. What are those hoses? Overfill? What ever it was it did not evaporate from my driveway.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
B.C. said:
The puddle was small only maybe 3inches in diameter? The oil level is perfect. What are those hoses? Overfill? What ever it was it did not evaporate from my driveway.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe one goes to the airbox and the other one is radiater overflow. Could just check where they run to. Anti-freeze doesnt evaporate. What color is it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting...well the puddle is on ashphalt so you can't tell what color it is but when I touch it and look at it seems kind of green but I ask a friend who was there who I thought knew what was up and asked him if it could be radiator fluid and he said no. I will check in the morning to see if any leaked out I just got in from ridding over the local mountain.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If it is oil check your oil drain plug it may be loose or the rubber o-ring worn out. it happened to me, the dealer didn't tighten the plug enough when doing the 7500 mile service.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check the drain plug by wiping it dry (if it is wet) with a paper towel, then waiting to see if it gets wet again.

If it is coming from the hoses, try to get a good sample of the item dripping. You can test to see if it is antifreeze by smell, and I hesitate to say this, but also taste. It wont hurt to taste just a tiny bit on your tongue, then spit/wash out, but could make it really easy to identify. Antifreeze should taste kind of sweet if I am correct. Also keep in mind that coolant is very toxic if consumed, only try the taste test if all else fails, just smelling is best ;D

The primary hose connects to the overfill drain under the gas cap. I don't know about the others.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'm willing to bet it is anti-freeze, especialy if it did come off as being green. Soak some of it up with a white paper towl, that'll show the color. No need to be tasting now...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
PGHRIDER said:
If it is oil check your oil drain plug it may be loose or the rubber o-ring worn out. it happened to me, the dealer didn't tighten the plug enough when doing the 7500 mile service.
there's a rubber o ring on the filler cap

the drain plug should have a copper crush washer that should be replaced every time but rarely is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts