Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've got an issue that I don't understand.

Last Friday I did an oil/filter change. Used a K&N 138 filter and rotella non synthetic oil. A few hours after the change I went out to eat on about an 8 mile round trip ride.

Yesterday I went out to my bike and started it up and my bike knocked twice. I shut it off immediately and went to check the oil. I couldn't even see it in the sight glass. I added about 350 ml and that put it about half way between the full and low line. I checked for leaks but couldn't find any. I rode about 20 miles yesterday and checked the oil levels when I got home. The oil was still in the half way point between the lines.

This morning I went back out again and checked before I started up. Again it was below the sight glass. I put some more oil in before riding to work today. What the hell is going on? Where is all my oil going?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont have the owners manual yet, but it tells you how many qts per oil/filter change..check yours...cold engine.. hold bike upright, check sight glass...add if needed. Important thing is holding bike upright before checking sight glass..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the recommended for oil with filter is like 2700-2800 ml. I check it holding the bike upright. I think at this point i've put over 3500 ml of oil in the bike...almost an entire gallon.

·
Registered
534 Posts
according to the manual, IIRC, your supposed to let the bike warm up for about 5 minutes, then turn it off for a couple minutes, then hold it upright and look at the sightglass. I think you're right on the 2.7-2.8 L

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
according to the manual, IIRC, your supposed to let the bike warm up for about 5 minutes, then turn it off for a couple minutes, then hold it upright and look at the sightglass. I think you're right on the 2.7-2.8 L
I already did this. MY ISSUE IS NOT WITH CHANGING THE OIL.

ISSUE --->> LOSING OIL OVER TIME. NO VISUAL LEAKING.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well, oil doesn't evaporate, so it would be fairly obvious on the ground. Could it be coming out when riding and you don't notice until you go out to ride again? There isn't really any place it can go on the bike.

I only mention b/c my wife was concerned the other day when the sightglass looked empty when her bike was on the side stand. I warmed it up and stood it up and it was right on. Had to explain it to her.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Well, oil doesn't evaporate, so it would be fairly obvious on the ground. Could it be coming out when riding and you don't notice until you go out to ride again? There isn't really any place it can go on the bike.

I only mention b/c my wife was concerned the other day when the sightglass looked empty when her bike was on the side stand. I warmed it up and stood it up and it was right on. Had to explain it to her.
There are many engines that burn oil with no leaks to speak of. Just because there isn't oil on the ground doesn't mean the engine isn't losing it out of the exhaust.

OP, did you have any problems with burning/leaking oil prior to your oil change? If you are sure that there were no problems prior to you changing the oil, than most likely your oil change is causing the problem somehow. It would be quite a coincidence if this problem just so happened to start at the same time that you changed the oil. Are you using the same type of oil as before your oil change (brand, weight, specifications)? Have you checked and double-checked that you torqued on your filter and drain plug properly (check for under and over-tightening)?

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
How did you check it after the change? Is it possible you just added it up to the line and didn't take into account the amount that would fill the filter when you started it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
There are many engines that burn oil with no leaks to speak of. Just because there isn't oil on the ground doesn't mean the engine isn't losing it out of the exhaust.
..... I rode about 20 miles yesterday and checked the oil levels when I got home. The oil was still in the half way point between the lines.
I know they can burn oil, this isn't the case though.

I went out to my bike at lunch. Didn't start it, stood it straight up, couldn't see any oil. I changed it less than 1000 miles ago, and don't have any oil leaks. After I ride home, it will be warm and between the lines when I look.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
When the oil is cold, it is at its thickest. Leaning on the stand will have the clutch cover (where the sight glass lives) pretty much drained...or at least very low. Standing the bike up and looking at the glass might not instantly tell you what the level will be once the oil slowly flows over to fill up the clutch cover as it takes a bit to happen. Much faster when warmed up...but still can take a few minutes to reach the full reading. Maybe on a quick cold check you're getting fooled into putting in too much oil? Overfilling will cause the engine to quickly use the overage and so the cycle might be repeating.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Fresh clean oil can be mistaken for empty if the level is above the sight glass.
Something else to consider.
This. I way overfilled on the first oil change because I wasn't watching very carefully.

I do my oil changes with filter on the rear stand and put 2.5 Quarts in every time and it's always right on.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checked again last night and it looks like it's right at the perfect level. I guess I was just underestimating the amount of oil the filter takes because I put in about 2800 to start and it looked good about an hour later and then the next day the knocking came. I was a little shocked when my engine knocked on me.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Did you pre-fill the filter before putting it on?

I always pre-fill my oil filters. Not sure quite how much a KN138 holds, but I'd bet it'd take the oil pump a couple seconds a fill it.

For me, its just an old habit left over from owning vehicles with pint-quart size oil filters.

Anyway, you'll visually fill it, empty filter takes up a lot of volume, level is dropped by a really good amount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.