Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew a freeze plug in the head and have oil sludge in the radiator. Anyone got a quick and easy solution for this to save me some time. Was thinking just go grab some radiator flush with some non foaming detergents. What sayeth everyone.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The radiator flush will probably work just fine, but you'll probably want to do it at least a couple of times to make sure that you get all the oil out. The cost of getting it wrong is way more than the cost of spending a little more to make sure you do it right the first time.

However, the bigger issue isn't so much oil that got in your cooling system as it the water that got in your lubrication system. That will cause much more damage if not properly removed. When I popped a freeze plug, I took the time to make sure got as much of the mixed oil and water out as possible. After replacing the freeze plug, I completely drained the oil/water mix and then removed the clutch and ignition rotor covers and cleaned them as well and put it back together and replaced the oil filter. Then I bought a couple of gallons of cheap oil and refilled the motor. Next, I the started the bike and ran it for a few minutes with no load on the engine. Then I drained the oil, refilled, started the bike, repeating the process several times until I was confident that I had gotten all of the water out of the oil. Then I drained the oil a final time, replaced the oil filter and refilled with my preferred brand of oil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already got a bunch of cheap oil and am working on that as well. Pulled both side covers too. This is a race bike so not gonna chance DNF'ing me. Was trying to figure quickest way to get oil out of the radiator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts