Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys. 2003 SV650S here. I took off airbox top to do a snorkelectomy and noticed that there was a small coating of oil surrounding the bottom of the airbox. Is that suppose to be there?? I do wheelies probably a little more than i should, and i am wondering if I should freak the hell out or what. What is the sponge looking thing that is on the left side of airbox? Oil comes in through there? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
If the bike was ever on it's side, that will tend to get oil up in the airbox.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did tip over recently. Thank god for sliders. WHEW. Is that a sure thing tho, that if it tips over, oil comes into the airbox? I dont tip it over THAT much. haha just once. *which is more than enough* That could probably be the cause of it though. thanks

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I get oil in my air box (99 SV650), never done any thing more than an slight wheelie under hard acceleration, and never been on it's side.

Now you have me curious......

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We-eell, my SV is new and I haven't had it apart for anything yet, and I'm too lazy to get up and look at the service manual, but on every other bike I've owned the crankcase breather vents into the airbox. So if you like to keep the revs high ;D you will get a bit of oil up there. On my old Sportster (open airbox) I had to put a sponge on the lip of the air cleaner cover to soak up the oil and keep it from dripping out the side :p

A little bit is normal, a lot you might want to be concerned about. You definitely don't want to put too much oil in - checking the oil is really a two-person job, one to hold it upright and level (NOT on a rearstand, which changes the level of the bike) and one to look in the sight glass -

·
Registered
267 Posts
I always get a little oil in my airbox and it hasn't hurt anything and since the bike is now 5yrs old I don't think it will. The 1st time I saw it I was like oh shit whats wrong!

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1 on the hoses. They are routed into the airbox so oil does not drip on the ground. The idea is to burn that extra oil up. It will go up there from wheelies, laying it down, or just a little collects over time. No biggy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The more high rpm you spin the engine, the more oil that will get pumped out the breather hoses. It's normal and nothing to worry about. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts