Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I got some oil in the air filter compartment. I think it is not a big deal (let me know if it is). I am more concerned by the oily air filter. Could that be the source of my high consomption: 35 mpg. Should I replace it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not a big deal, its normal. If the filter is really soaked and filthy however, I would replace it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I love this place!

Just had to do a search on here because I finally have a day to do the "new-to-me" maintenance and checks on the bike...found the air filter soaked with oil and also found it desnorkeled. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi there,

I got some oil in the air filter compartment. I think it is not a big deal (let me know if it is). I am more concerned by the oily air filter. Could that be the source of my high consumption: 35 mpg. Should I replace it?
An oil soaked air filter *will* restrict flow and could cause high fuel consumption but I'd be more worried about *oil* consumption (oil up in the air filter indicates a lot of piston blow-by, esp. if there's enough to soak the air filter).

Does it use a lot of oil?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I will find out what the consumption is soon enough. Only have rode it from the place of sale and into work one day...been wet and rainy here, and I know I trust my 08 in those conditions. ;)

Going to get the oil up to full level line and give it a watch. I know it's having a bad exchange as it has slight backfire on decel when running warm.

My list of parts to order isn't too bad...yet...but thankfully planned for some of it. I'll get the lil bike fixed as it should be...which is part of my fun. 8)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
could have been overfilled a couple times with the excess oil ending up in the airbox courtsey of vent hoses/vapors from the crankcase kinda thing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I was changing my filter today and realized the same. Oil underneath the filter. Should I wipe it up ?
I don’t have too much oil consumption at all. But it worried me.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
So long as oil consumption is low and the amount under the filter, small, nothing to worry about.

Just wipe it up, ride, and be happy. : -)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do you have that little wedge of sponge in the compartment at the side of your airbox? It sits above the breather pipe and traps the oil vapor so it drains back down the breather. If the sponge is missing the vapor will make the airbox messier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did not find any sponge. I cleaned the oil which was very minimal. I’ll check back in a few days to see what happened. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bike did have the sponge in the airbox and it seemed to trap the oil perfectly. I thought that it was there for that reason but now I know. Thanks, SV brothers and sisters. Knowledge is king.
15942828042186435065443076351706.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts