Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, several of you may know that my bike turned into a chocolate shake mixer over the winter. I baby my bike, so I'm positive that I didn't blow something at the track, and it's not from lack of upkeep on maintenance (as I'm very regular with oil, lubes, replacement, checking torque, valve check). Unfortunately, in the rebuild there was nothing visibly damaged, no bad gaskets, no missing freeze plugs, etc. I rebuilt the water pump as I was told that they do have a way of going bad.

The bikes been running well (actually smoother) since the reassembly.

The only issue now is that the little hose which ??? I guess relieves pressure from the oil blocked at the oil seal (the one that's pressed in under the mechanical seal) is always weeping. By always, I mean that while I'm riding it's just enough that I smell it burning on my exhaust, and when I park, I've got a couple tiny drips on the floor. It never wept before.

Any ideas? :dontknow:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If its the hose that comes out of the front of the clutch side engine case cover,it should only be leaking coolant if anything..not oil.

The gen II 650 is the same as the Sv1k, as far as the water pump is bolted to the case cover. There is a baffle inside there to keep the oil and coolant pockets separate.

The shaft for the water pump runs straight through there though..and the seal for those have been known to fail at times..especially with higher miles.

Not sure if that is the hose you mean or not??

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its the hose that comes out of the front of the clutch side engine case cover,it should only be leaking coolant if anything..not oil.
Not sure if that is the hose you mean or not??
Hmmm...not sure. It's the tiny little hose that comes straight out of the bottom of the water pump. When you press the new oil seal into the water pump (over the bearings and under the mechanical seal), there are little holes, which I assumed would lead to that hose. I could believe that it would be for coolant, but I'm not sure why oil would come out instead. I'm not getting any coolant into my engine anymore since the water pump rebuild. The bike only has 15-16k on it.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Honestly, I am not that familiar with the 650 engine..so I am not sure what this hose is.

can you find the fiche with a pic of it??

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As Doug said, if its the hose that comes out the bottom of the water pump routes, down the channel of the side case, and then points down to the ground.... it should be leaking coolant not oil.

Check to see if you have oil in your coolant, somewhere the two pockets are mixing in the engine case.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Doug said, if its the hose that comes out the bottom of the water pump routes, down the channel of the side case, and then points down to the ground.... it should be leaking coolant not oil.

Check to see if you have oil in your coolant, somewhere the two pockets are mixing in the engine case.

It's at the top right of the picture. So, Yes...coming out of the bottom of the water pump. Out internal part number for the 650 and 1000 are different.

I had this feeling that the oil seal sat a little deeper into the water pump this time around, but I figured that it was just me. I guess if it was to far in or not far enough in, it could be causing the issue. I did drain my coolant again last week to replace the clutch cover gasket :mad: again and there was no oil in the coolant. No coolant has showed itself in the oil. Just that annoying drip which is going to keep me off the track:(

So, it sounds like another rebuild or the purchase of a whole replacement water pump is in order:(

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/45/Year/2004/ModelID/8024/Model/SV650/GroupID/381419/Group/WATER_PUMP_

Part #5 is the part in question. My issue is that the oil seal does not "fill" the entire space between the bearings and the mechanical seal. The service manual does not specify how deep to press it in. So maybe it needed to be left further toward the top, or maybe it wasn't pressed in far enough :dontknow:

In order to get the mechanical seal out to get to the oil seal, I'll have to replace it....I don't want to damage to more parts just to find I'd repeated what I did wrong all over again.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I would just get a new seal..about $10, and try replacing it again...cheapest and easiest way to try and cure it. Always start with the simple stuff first.

That is the seal I was thinking of, but the hose on the 650 is in a different local than the 1000.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have been lucky in being able to keep the Clutch cover gasket in tact removing the side covers. Sorry you had to replace it again.

On your oil issue,
It must just slightly weeping and running straight down the back block of the water pump to run out the release hose. Which might explain the no visible oil in the coolant, I would replace the number 8 gasket as well, when you replace the seal. You might want to throw in the little o-ring in front of the bearings before the seal too. When you rebuilt the pump, did you reseat the bearings? Maybe some of your gap issue is caused by the bottom bearing not being all the way in?

I dunno just throwing some stuff out there.

I might try to take a picture of mine this weekend Sexy, I have a couple driplets of coolant coming out the same hose. I need to switch back to water wetter anyway, and figured I would take a look. Hopefully it was just me overfilling it this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been lucky in being able to keep the Clutch cover gasket in tact removing the side covers. Sorry you had to replace it again.

On your oil issue,
It must just slightly weeping and running straight down the back block of the water pump to run out the release hose. Which might explain the no visible oil in the coolant, I would replace the number 8 gasket as well, when you replace the seal. You might want to throw in the little o-ring in front of the bearings before the seal too. When you rebuilt the pump, did you reseat the bearings? Maybe some of your gap issue is caused by the bottom bearing not being all the way in?

I dunno just throwing some stuff out there.

I might try to take a picture of mine this weekend Sexy, I have a couple driplets of coolant coming out the same hose. I need to switch back to water wetter anyway, and figured I would take a look. Hopefully it was just me overfilling it this winter.
I actually replaced all of the seals and O-rings when I rebuild the water pump. The only thing that I did NOT touch was the bearings because I did not want to risk damaging them. I don't know how to get the Mechanical seal out without damaging it either. Seems like the Mechanical and Oil seal are sort of an all or nothing commitment.

I'd love to see a picture of yours. Just sucks that I replaced the clutch cover gasket for the second time:( Even just changing the fuilds out is starting to take it's toll. THis will be the 6th oil change and 3rd coolant change in 2 months:( But I have to get her straight because track days start in 3 week:eek:

I guess I'll order more parts tonight and hope they arrive by Friday. Might have to pay the $$ to get them from the local ***********. I'm sure they're going to wonder why I'm ordering another clutch gasket...but they got my money...so who cares.

So....what I'd be intereted to see is how deep the oil seal is supposed to seat. I think there are one or two holes in the water pump that I'm assuming (as you and Dougz stated) are supposed to allow weeping to possibly bleed off pressure form the coolant. If I'm loosing oil...I can only imagine that the seal is not in far enough, or is in to far. I just don't remember seeing any guidance on it. :dontknow:

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
sounds like yer bike when british after the surgery.

kinda like madonna? :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like yer bike when british after the surgery.

kinda like madonna? :dontknow:
Like Madonna....I have had a thing for younger men lately:rolleyes:;D;) but my bike is just challenging me. She's running well, sounding great, and feeling strong. I'm sure it was just me not installing the oil seal just right.

DougZ..how did you get the oil seal out without ruinning the mechanical seal?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Just pull with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I saw what you said earlier..the manuals are not too helpful about telling how to see it...I just pressed the new one on with my fingers, till it was where I thought it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just pull with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I saw what you said earlier..the manuals are not too helpful about telling how to see it...I just pressed the new one on with my fingers, till it was where I thought it should be.
Wow...just looked at yours for the 1000 and it's much different then ours from what I can tell on the microfiche. We have two bearings which are pressed into a second housing. The oil seal is pressed over those and then the mechanical seal is pressed into that.

When I say pressed...I mean seriously pressed into....not just pushed in. It took one hell of an effort for me to get it out and a bit of effort to get it back in. Although I'm sure your guns are bigger and stronger then mine;D but it involved some grunting.

I guess I can give it one more go, but Im thinking that I might just srping for a new water pump and call it a done deal. $166 is a lot to spring if it's just a $10 seal.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
yeah, if its different from the sv1K one...then I have nothing to offer. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Parts have been ordered. Maybe I'll post pictures of it while it's apart and then see what the verdict is. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get them on Friday or Saturday!

Thankfully it's supposed to rain all weekend, so I won't be riding anyway. Looks like I might have to dust of the RC51 next week though;D

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:mad: Grrr. Lucky you.

I should have mine pulled off the case around Friday night, I will still post up some pictures.

Hey....where's my picture?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hey....where's my picture?
Weather has been pretty crappy, and I ended up going to pick up a bike for my dad over the weekend. Just been kinda drained with other stuff going on.

I have the coolant and oil drained, so if I feel frisky, I will be sure to snap a pic with pump removed.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OKay....this is what the new oil seal looks like inside the waterpump. See how it looks like there is a little oil around it? And it's sitting down agains the bearings. I'm thinking that it needs to be higher....right up agains the Mechanical seal???

This shows how much deeper the "socket" is where the seal sits....hence me not knowing whether it matters how far down I seat it.

Yes...I know...I scratched the lip this time getting the mechanical seal on....that thing is a b!tch.:mad: Not to mention that I stripped the two screws that hold the housing together:mad: Of course the ones that I ordered....are WRONG.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sexy,

I read through your posts. It's hard to tell if you've got a problem with the bearings, seals, or whatever with your water pump. I think it would be easier to buy a used water pump and try that instead of tearing up your water pump surface, seals, and bearings.

Here's one from a guy local to me that I've bought from before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-SV650-SV-650-WATER-PUMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem200306287842QQitemZ200306287842QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Good luck with it and thank you for sharing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts