Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have had decent luck with K&N. Wouldn't say that it's the best, but it does its job and has the goodwill of the K&N name to back it up.

Fram are terrible. I have seen the paper filters literally fall apart. IMO stay away from Fram at all costs.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
you'll find people who have used nothing but frams, and had zero problems (me), and you'll find a lot of people who have heard of frams being problematic. not hardly anyone with first hand experience of a fram filter letting them down.

lets say there were lots of people who had problems with frams. fram sells waaaaay more filters than anyone else, i've never seen numbers, but probably more than all other brands combined times 2 (i'm talking about retail to people changing thier own oil, not service stations). so if you hear someone with a fram who had an issue, and never hear of someone with a k&n (or whatever) who had a problem, chances are, the number problems per filter sold are going to be identical.

then there's the issue of who uses frams vs. other filters. of people who do thier own oil changes (cars and bikes), how many of them are driving newer vs. older vehicles? older cars/bikes are more likely to be worked on by someone trying to be frugal(me) and therefore use an inexpensive filter. older cars/bikes are more likely to break than newer (duh). so the average car/bike (whose owner changes the oil) that has problems is more likely to have a fram oil filter in it than another brand.

i wish i knew of actual numbers to verify (or prove wrong) my skepticism, i don't so that may all be incorrect. but it seems logical.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks bhavinjo, and 507, I agree, its on the only one I have every used on my car and had no problems, so why not for the bike? right? Still trying to decide on what to do.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
you'll find people who have used nothing but frams, and had zero problems (me), and you'll find a lot of people who have heard of frams being problematic. not hardly anyone with first hand experience of a fram filter letting them down.

lets say there were lots of people who had problems with frams. fram sells waaaaay more filters than anyone else, i've never seen numbers, but probably more than all other brands combined times 2 (i'm talking about retail to people changing thier own oil, not service stations). so if you hear someone with a fram who had an issue, and never hear of someone with a k&n (or whatever) who had a problem, chances are, the number problems per filter sold are going to be identical.

then there's the issue of who uses frams vs. other filters. of people who do thier own oil changes (cars and bikes), how many of them are driving newer vs. older vehicles? older cars/bikes are more likely to be worked on by someone trying to be frugal(me) and therefore use an inexpensive filter. older cars/bikes are more likely to break than newer (duh). so the average car/bike (whose owner changes the oil) that has problems is more likely to have a fram oil filter in it than another brand.

i wish i knew of actual numbers to verify (or prove wrong) my skepticism, i don't so that may all be incorrect. but it seems logical.
However true that might be...by tearing them apart, you can tell what kind of craftsmanship and technology is put into each filter. Cardboard endcaps? No thanks.

I choose the better built filter because its better built. Not because some person i know had trouble with an engine.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I use Purolator. Why? Because it is available at the local Pepboys and cheaper than the Suzuki filters. I have used them for 30k miles on my own SV, 7k on Erin's, 15k on Herb's, 8k on Joe's and 4k on Rob's. Kurt uses the same filter for 5k on his Marauder. That is 69k miles of combined use. No known issues.
My family business sells FAA certified filters. Largest manufacturer we deal with: Purolator.
ac

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
While I use the Wix now, it is strictly because they are available at my local O'Reillys. I used nothin but Emgo and Fram on my last bike and never had a problem. I also used nothing but Frams on my explorer that I eventually sold with almost 250K miles on it. I have read the reviews on Fram and I have seen the dissections and while they do look crappy compared to others, I never had a problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Isn't there a weird thread interference issue with non OEM filters?
something about Suzuki using a weird thread pitch.
I use OEM cause it's not much more then an aftermarket filter around here.
Ahmed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts