Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm so sorry if this has been asked before; I swear I did a search...

I have a 99 SV650, and recently changed the oil in preparation for the track.

When I did the oil change, I had the bike on a rearstand, which tips the engine forward slightly. I filled up the oil to between the two lines on the sight glass and figured all was well.

Loaded the bike up into the truck, got it tied down (Bike is now straight up and down, no forward tilt.) and noticed that the sightglass was absolutely empty. Hrm.

Take it out of the truck a few days later and put it on its sidestand. On the sidestand, the bike leans a good 35 degrees to the left. In this position, there is a little bit of oil showing in the sightglass - but it is below the lower line.

So... my question is this: in what position should I have the bike when filling the oil after a change? Naturally, I don't want to overfill and blow a seal, but I also don't want to underfill and blow the motor. I'm thinking that the straight up-and-down position is the way to go, but want confirmation from folks in-the-know.

Thanks for your assistance!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Bike needs to be level and straight up. Have someone hold it for you, or just hold it yourself and peek down. Not hard really.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike needs to be level and straight up. Have someone hold it for you, or just hold it yourself and peek down. Not hard really.
Coolness. I figured as much, but hadn't encountered this before (my 'tona doesn't tip forward appreciably on the Pitbull), so I wanted to check and make sure.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It makes it easier when sitting on the bike to lean over a little and use a small hand held mirror close to the case to see the level when you don't have someone to hold the bike for you. :)

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
After you do a oil change and add the new oil you should start the bike and run it 1/2 minute or so and then recheck. It may need a bit more.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
2 full quarts (946ml ea) and another 500ml is the correct amount with a filter change, 400mil with out the filter change.

A $1 measuring cup from a dollar store can take the guess work out of putting in 2400ml every single time.

:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, gents!

Since oil changes are going to be frequent on this bike (at least monthly, I think), I'm going to have to figure out a way to easily get the bike upright and level. Some sort of harness, probably... hrm...

Regardless... thank you again, fellows. I appreciate the input!

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
You don't need a harness or anything, with a bit of practice you can balance the bike fine while crouching beside it long enough to check the sight glass.

BTW - why the plan on monthly oil changes? Are you doing a ton of miles on the SV?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made a red neck front stand for changing oil. I cut a 2’ piece of 2x4 at a slight angle and hammered both pieces together to create a continuous angle. I put them up against the wall, line the front tire up, put the bike on the rear stand, and push/roll the front tire up onto the 2x4’s. Works really well and makes the bike level. I am at work and don’t have a picture, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Thanks, gents!

Since oil changes are going to be frequent on this bike (at least monthly, I think), I'm going to have to figure out a way to easily get the bike upright and level. Some sort of harness, probably... hrm...

Regardless... thank you again, fellows. I appreciate the input!
I made a red neck front stand for changing oil. I cut a 2’ piece of 2x4 at a slight angle and hammered both pieces together to create a continuous angle. I put them up against the wall, line the front tire up, put the bike on the rear stand, and push/roll the front tire up onto the 2x4’s. Works really well and makes the bike level. I am at work and don’t have a picture, but you get the idea.
Really a stand or a harness for changing oil? Wow! Sometimes I just don't don't get it!???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really a stand or a harness for changing oil? Wow! Sometimes I just don't don't get it!???
Yes, it was really difficult to make this. Probably all of two minutes with some 2x4's I already had. It probably took you longer to respond to this thread and it saves me a little time every time I change my oil.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yes, it was really difficult to make this. Probably all of two minutes with some 2x4's I already had. It probably took you longer to respond to this thread and it saves me a little time every time I change my oil.
Hahaha! That's pretty funny! Whats the rush changing oil? Since when did changing oil become such a process?

Don't bother answering. You do what you want! It's your bike and if going the extra mile makes you feel better about yourself and your work more power to you!;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it was not for the Thomas Jefferson quote you have, I would call you a post whoring a$$. But, I am a huge conservative and want show some respect. Peace Lost1888. :hug:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't need a harness or anything, with a bit of practice you can balance the bike fine while crouching beside it long enough to check the sight glass.

BTW - why the plan on monthly oil changes? Are you doing a ton of miles on the SV?
Hehe, when it is on its sidestand, my bike is waaaaay far over, and is quite the beast to pull upright (and I'm not a weak lil chica). While I'm sure I could master the balance'n'crouch, I think it'll save me time and energy in the long run to just get it upright (rather than getting it off the sidestand, checking it, back on sidestand, top up, off sidestand, re-check, on sidestand, etc.)

And this is my track bike. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to change the oil after every track weekend (which could be 2-3 times a month during a good month), or every couple, but... either way, the oil'll be out often.

I can definintely visualize that, and could def. make up something similar quickly and easily. Hmmmmm.

I almost think, though, that I'm inclined to sink a couple of eye bolts into the struts in the garage's ceiling (sssshhhhh, don't tell my landlord) and rigging up a harness. If I did it right, I could use it for front-end work, too... I'm going to have to draw up some schematics and run through the physics. Hrm.

Well, I can do the oil on either of my Triumph's with just the centerstand (on the Sprint) or the Pitbull (on the Daytona) because they remain level. The SV tips too far forward on the Pitbull, though, so.... need to come up with a way to make the job easy. Besides, if the tool I develop also helps me on other tasks (suspension work, changing tires, etc.), bonus.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If it was not for the Thomas Jefferson quote you have, I would call you a post whoring a$$. But, I am a huge conservative and want show some respect. Peace Lost1888. :hug:
Call me whatever you want! I don't let anything anyone says on the internet bother me. :p

I just don't get what is so hard about changing oil, turning the bike on while it's on the side stand, letting it warm up, shutting it off, letting it sit for a minute or two, standing it up, crouching down, resting the bike against you knee holding the handle bar with your hand and looking at the sight glass? :rolleyes:

Why do people what to make everything so complicated!

Unsubscribed! Waste of time!:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Call me whatever you want! I don't let anything anyone says on the internet bother me. :p

I just don't get what is so hard about changing oil, turning the bike on while it's on the side stand, letting it warm up, shutting it off, letting it sit for a minute or two, standing it up, crouching down, resting the bike against you knee holding the handle bar with your hand and looking at the sight glass? :rolleyes:

Why do people what to make everything so complicated!

Unsubscribed! Waste of time!:D
Wonder who whizzed in his cornflakes this morning...?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I still love you man!!!:hug::lmao::gay:

But, why would you get so worked up over a simple post? Were you abused on a motorcycle stand when you were a kid?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys a a trip! Like I said do as you please to me it is a waste of time and energy even thinking about this. 2 each their own!

:lmao::jerkbag:

That's cool, man. Like you said - to each his own. :) With 15k on your scoot, I'd estimate you've changed your oil about 6 times since you got it (assuming you got it new). It's not unlikely that I'll change my oil that many times in the next 3 months. So I want to make it as quick and easy as possible.

Besides, I'm a process improvement guru. Figuring out a way to make the job just a little more efficient is as much fun to me as doing the job itself, and will thoroughly enjoy using some ingenuity to solve this 'problem'.

It's almost the weekend. Have a really nice day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts