Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently installed a lower belly pan, which required four bolts (two on each side) be taken out and then back in to support the belly pan.

While i was screwing in the bolt on the left side of the bike (opposite of engine oil cap) I think i either stripped the bolt or the thread that is inside. I applied some thread-locker, but when i warmed up the bike today, i saw oil drips. The bolt is a bit loose.

Here is a picture of what i mean...

I am thinking of getting a metal adhesive of some sort and trying to glue it together to prevent oil from dripping out. This bolt has the plastic o ring around it.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Unfortunately the bolt is probabely not stripped .The cover pretty much needs to come off, a helicoil might be possible. Carefully measuring the depth of the hole the bolt threads into,maybe there are a few extra threads at the bottom, then modifying a longer bolt to reach those threads, if the threads taper off at the bottom of the hole a bottoming tap or a modified regular tap could cut any partially formed threads at the bottom of the hole into useful full threads. The bolt will need to be very precisely ground down so it tightens the cover and goes as deep into the block as threads allow. If there's room around the bolt for a helicoil ,that's the prefered way. Re reading your post i was wondering ,a belly pan is held on by engine cover bolts, did they not supply slightly longer bolts? if you stripped the threads out because on not using longer bolts(maybe you were supposed to) then there are definitely unstripped threads at the bottom of the hole,the only question is if they're enough to hold the oil in.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no longer bolts were supplied, and the instructions said to use the stock bolts.

I've put some lock-tight on it atm and wait till tomorrow.

P.S When i had it on at first, there wasn't a leak until i noticed it today (4 days later).

·
Registered
799 Posts
if that is bolt right at bottom of cylinder be careful with it. it can not be longer more than what is needed for whatever you bolting to it. there is cam chain right behind it.
that is stupid location for mount if that is the one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts