Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING:  When changing the oil filter on your SV, make sure the rubber gasket on the base of the old filter doesn't remain stuck to the engine when the old filter is removed.

And now the rest of the story:  Sunday afternoon, my ladyfriend and riding partner decided to change the oil and filter on Brutus, her '05 SV650.  It was a cold day with Fahrenheit temps in the upper 30's, but she said we could do it in her garage.  She changed the oil and filter and I pushed her bike outside and started it up for a few minutes, before checking the oil level.  Since it was a cold day, I closed the garage door and we hung out inside for 2-3 minutes while the bike idled outside.  Upon raising the garage door, we found Brutus sitting in the middle of a rapidly spreading puddle of oil, which was dripping from the base of the filter.  We quickly shut her off and threw down some oil-dry stuff to soak up the dino juice, then started figuring out what went wrong. 

We took off the new filter and found the rubber gasket from the old filter had pulled off the filter and remained stuck to the mounting surface on the engine.  When she installed the new filter, it squeezed the old gasket off-center and left a small gap around the base so that neither the new or old gasket made a seal, hence the pool of oil on the ground.  We had never seen that happen before.

Moral of the story:  Make sure the rubber gasket on the old oil filter is actually removed along with the rest of the filter, and watch for leaks after changing the oil.  Otherwise, a routine oil change may not be that routine.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah double gasketing and oil filter is a bad move, and its an easy slip to make. Ive never done it but Ive seen it done and heard many times of it happening.

I can assure you that you will never have that problem again because you will be so parinoid about it every time you change your oil. ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I did that about a month ago. I started it up, and it was fine at idle, but when I gave it some gas to get the fluids moving around... fountain of oil in every direction. I was inside my garage at the time too. All over my car, the floor, my tools, and my pants and shoes :p. I was rushing through the job to save time, but ended up cleaning up the mess for 2 hours instead :p

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
This is why, in the directions that come with the filter, it says to apply a small amount of fresh oil to the o-ring prior to installing it. it keeps the rubber lubed and "non stick" as you compress it down. Always use Suzuki filters too!

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, that's just dirty.  I like it!  ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Morpheous said:
This is why, in the directions that come with the filter, it says to apply a small amount of fresh oil to the o-ring prior to installing it. it keeps the rubber lubed and "non stick" as you compress it down. Always use Suzuki filters too!
Screw that, Ill pay 6 bucks for a purolater filter. Suzuki isnt any better just more expensive. And running non suzuki oil filters will not void your warranty either, no matter what the dealership says.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
That Guy said:
Screw that, Ill pay 6 bucks for a purolater filter. Suzuki isnt any better just more expensive. And running non suzuki oil filters will not void your warranty either, no matter what the dealership says.
Does the purolator have a check valve? if not youll pay $6 now and hundreds later.....makes a huge diff on startup lubrication. And any little bit you give the dealer or manufacturer on warranty stipulations they will certainly take.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Morpheous said:
Does the purolator have a check valve? if not youll pay $6 now and hundreds later.....makes a huge diff on startup lubrication. And any little bit you give the dealer or manufacturer on warranty stipulations they will certainly take.
Im not sure, I dont see why it wouldnt. I figured that was almost a given with newer style non bargain basement oil filters.

Im not sure I quite understand your comment on warranty stupulations.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The instructions in the owner's manual tell you to wipe off the mating surface on the block before mounting the new filter. If you do that, it is really hard to miss noticing the old gasket when it stays behind.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Happy2BNekid said:
The instructions in the owner's manual tell you to wipe off the mating surface on the block before mounting the new filter. If you do that, it is really hard to miss noticing the old gasket when it stays behind.

I just check the old filter when I take it off, if its got a gasket you know your good, but if not you know its time to go play hide and go seek. ;D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did something similar to my dad's Mercedes. It's a filter cartridge and you replace the element and a few gaskets. I guess one of the gaskets was pinched in a way. Started the car and it peed about 6 quarts of Mobil 1. I was pissed. It was about a yr ago and you can still make out the trail of backing out the driveway and driving half a mile out of the neighborhood then backtracking it's way u the driveway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.