Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I changed the oil in my 03 650S today and when I filled the oil I leaned the bike upright and the mark was at full. I put 2.5 qts in the bike. Once I fired it up and went inside for a bit I came back out and the oil level barley registers in the window at all. It hasn't leaked a drop. I am using a K&N air filter and have read that this filter doesn't allow the oil to drain after the engine shuts off. Just wanted to get some opinions from you all before I go out and overfill her. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello all I changed the oil in my 03 650S today and when I filled the oil I leaned the bike upright and the mark was at full. I put 2.5 qts in the bike. Once I fired it up and went inside for a bit I came back out and the oil level barley registers in the window at all. It hasn't leaked a drop. I am using a K&N air filter and have read that this filter doesn't allow the oil to drain after the engine shuts off. Just wanted to get some opinions from you all before I go out and overfill her. Thanks in advance for the help.
Here is all the details

http://www.svrider.com/tips/oilchange.htm

If u changed the filter than u need 2.9Q, if not then 2.4Q, so if u did not change the filter then you r fine, if you did, then u need some more.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If I am not mistaken I believe you need to turn the bike off for it to register after being on for a few minutes?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well, let me guess....you put the oil filter on dry. thus as the filter fills up with oil, the amount in the crankcase goes down. Its never a good idea to put a filter on dry. Even though the filter sits as almost 90 degrees, I can still pre-fill the filter about 70%. also, your post refers to an "air filter"..not sure why.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the very quick responses, and I meant oil filter my bad. Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts

Once you fill the bike with oil, you need to run the bike to operating temp. Then turn off and let sit for 5 mins, then check the oil in the sight glass. With the bike level, not on it's sidestand.

K&N is the only oil filter I use on my bikes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Its never a good idea to put a filter on dry.
I've never put oil in any filter of any vehicle I've ever owned during an oil change. I really think that this is a myth. The pressure of the oil pump should be more than adequate to fill the filter. Truth is you could run your bike without oil for quite some time before it seizes (not that I'm recommending it! LOL)

·
Registered
856 Posts
but the ider is that the time it takes to fill up the filter,is time the engine is running on low oil pressure,with an sv the filter is sideways so it's kind of hard to prefill it , unless you hang the bike from the rear wheel to put your filter on:) bit of a thread jack but this thread reminded me that gen 2's have a higher oil cap than gen 1's because of the oil cooler,and possibility of hooking an oil cooler up to a gen 1?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The pressure of the oil pump should be more than adequate to fill the filter
The issue is not whether the oil pump can fill the filter...it can and always will. The issue is running an engine with zero oil pressure and oil flow. Funny how folks will spend all kind of money on the best oil, only to starve the engine during each oil change.

In reference to installing a pre-filled filter when the filter sits 90 degrees...well, try it. The filter paper will absorb a great deal of oil, and the anti-flow back valve will prevent oil from coming out of the outer holes. I essentially lose maybe a few drops of oil at the most; i spin the filter on fast and quick. And my oil light cuts out almost as quickly as a normal engine start. Yes, prefilling will take about two minutes of time..I do it as my old oil is draining.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Once you fill the bike with oil, you need to run the bike to operating temp. Then turn off and let sit for 5 mins, then check the oil in the sight glass. With the bike level, not on it's sidestand.
Sorry, but this is really bad advice. A cold engine and a hot engine will give identical oil fill readings, as long as the oil filter is full and engine oil flow has been established. That only takes 30 seconds or less, even if the filter is installed dry. Running the bike up to full operating tem is not the time to find that you installed only one or two quarts. If you think you have properly filled the engine, start the bike and ensure that the oil pressure lights goes out. Once it does, shut the bike down and check the oil level. Be sure that both wheels are on the ground, not on a stand. A rear or front stand will give a false reading.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Sorry, but this is really bad advice. A cold engine and a hot engine will give identical oil fill readings, as long as the oil filter is full and engine oil flow has been established. That only takes 30 seconds or less, even if the filter is installed dry. Running the bike up to full operating tem is not the time to find that you installed only one or two quarts. If you think you have properly filled the engine, start the bike and ensure that the oil pressure lights goes out. Once it does, shut the bike down and check the oil level. Be sure that both wheels are on the ground, not on a stand. A rear or front stand will give a false reading.
You do know that the info you're refering too comes from a certified mechanic, right? Just checking.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Last time I drained 5 quarts of hot oil, it used the same volumn as 5 qts of cold oil. The recomendation of runing the engine to "normal temps" is really to check for leaks. I've never had a filter leak and if it did I'm sure it would leak as soon as pressure was established. The only exception might be not removing the old filter seal. In reference to filling filters, I would never do this to my truck..the filter is large and no doubt would take more than a few seconds to fill and establish proper flow. Feel free to do as you chose, but I always run the engine for less than 30 seconds to ensure proper fill level. You can always restart and run longer..I just would not want to find out too late.

If the SV used an even amount of quarts (like 3.0 quarts), then maybe that might make it somewhat easier to ensure proper fill. Then again, shxx can happen.

·
Registered
373 Posts
run your bike for a few minutes and THEN check the oil level, the oil needs to redistribute into the motor so you'll need more from the first initial fill

·
Registered
653 Posts
If the SV used an even amount of quarts (like 3.0 quarts), then maybe that might make it somewhat easier to ensure proper fill. Then again, shxx can happen.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the SV does take an even amount of <liters>, it is cast right under the site glass (300 ml). I would not expect the rest of the world save some 3rd world countries to adjust to the US version of the English system (our quarts are smaller than "Imperial quarts" as well).

Some of the forum members in my age bracket undoubtably remember the two weeks or so back in the '70s when the US converted to the metric system, before we all whined that it was "TOO HARD":eek:, and went to the *******ized mix that we have now. Next time you have to change a power steering pump on an American vehicle and find that you don't have an 18mm tubing wrench you will know what I mean.

Back on topic (rant over), the way that the crank case drains into the filter cavity on an SV, the filter will fill to a third full just by dumping oil into the crankcase. It only takes a second or so for the pressure to come up, watch how fast the idiot light goes off. Nothing wrong with pre-filling filters, I do it myself on horizontal filters, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

So far as not putting enough oil in an SV, unless you are filling out of a bulk tank you should have at least three empty quart bottles sitting on the ground if you have changed the filter (I do every time).

3 Liters=3.17 Quarts. I just dump in three quarts, the level is always about half way between the marks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ok i for one like the pre fill technique mentioned up a few posts, and i think"why not" it certainly can't hurt and my sv is my baby my lawn mower gets the old oil from my sv.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
uhm doesnt the SV say 2300ml on the side right there.. Right by that cool little window?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts