Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new to me 02 that I bought needed an oil change. We (hubby and me) could not get the filter off. Tried the screwdriver through it trick. Nope. Tried everything I knew. I came in the house to warm up.

I hear him outside banging on it. Great. :tard:

Now the post that the filter fits on has messed up threads and the new filter won't thread up. What's the solution?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Oooh thats not good, but it should be threaded on both ends, I've had them unscrew with the filter before. Maybe try carquest, autozone, napa to see if they have one that size. If not I think the threads are the same as most toyota cars so you could probably rob one at the junkyard.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Ouch. Bad.

You might be able to use a tap & die kit to repair the threads. It may take a little research to get the correct size you'd need.

[edit] not sure what the diameter on the oil filter post is, or the thread pitch... I'm searching...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Teri,
It was probably the PO that cross-threaded it in the first place and not hubby that effed it up.

RR,
I hope you are correct about the tube being threaded on both ends but i recall a couple that have broken off (accidents) and the solution was not so easy (or they simply didn't know it was threaded on both sides).

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Did you run the bike for a bit prior to attempting this? Are you sure you are turning the filter the correct direction?

·
Registered
421 Posts
oooooh. that sux. sorry i have nothing useful to add to this thread but do offer my sympathies.....

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you run the bike for a bit prior to attempting this? Are you sure you are turning the filter the correct direction?
No and yes.

Mkay, this isn't the first time I've changed the oil in a bike.

Tom,

I think you're probably right. When he finally got it off there were fine thread shavings on the filter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Last time I checked (2nd gen) the threads are 22mm or 20mm can't remember but toy's and hondas are like 18mm.

Now call jeopardy98 or blair or Zoran for a used oil filter replacement.

To get the old one out a little heat and a big allen it should unscrew from the block.

THe other trick would be to file the first few threads on the stub down and the then rethread the filter on it.

Good luck.

My idiot co worker likes to wrench the filters on so i always know when I change a repeat customer's oil. finger tight and a 1/8 - 1/4 turn thats all folks is it really that hard???????

·
Registered
835 Posts
I did something similar a long time ago. The threaded post came out with the filter and I was not paying attention and threw it out. Try to rethread it if not get the pitch and count of it and see about matching it up. May even be able to find a bike shop (Small business owner) that will have what you need . I find those ppl are usually more knowledged or at least willing to share the knowledge.

You could always just run a filter block off plate and just change your oil more frequently.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
No and yes.

Mkay, this isn't the first time I've changed the oil in a bike.
Just checking. Didn't mean to offend. :eek:ccasion14:

Is it cold there? Warming the metal up by running it first might help loosen things up...probably too late now though since you've put a screwdriver through the filter.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Just checking. Didn't mean to offend. :eek:ccasion14:

Is it cold there? Warming the metal up by running it first might help loosen things up...probably too late now though since you've put a screwdriver through the filter.
Read closer... they're way past the simple problem of getting the filter off.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Anyone who works on vehicles should have one of these:

This sucker works on all sizes and saved many of my buddies getting stuck filters out.

tk
I like that one but a kevlar strap wrench and a breaker bar works better IMO.

I use that one too but its hard to use on some cars. Bikes are another story.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
T:

I found this info:

Specs on the Suzuki Oil Filter:

• 20 x 1 mm threads

I assume this means 20mm with a 1mm thread pitch

You might be able to find a die for this & use it to rework the threads.

If not, Ronayers for the part # for a replacement, I guess?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Oh jeez. :( I can see the look on Randy's face now.

Given that the PO had the throttle operating in reverse, I'm pretty sure that we can lay the blame at his door. :)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.