Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma on a upcoming oil change I need to do.

The drain plug hole may potentially be striped. I had some work done to the bike recently ( Shims and valve adjustment which I should have listened to SV riders advice and did it myself but that is a story for another time :thefinger: :angry4: :BangHead: ) I let the guy do oil change as part of the deal. He told me the plug came out tight and was really loose going back in. Also he informed me he thinks its a pretty good chance its going to strip completely on the next change and recommends a time-sert or heli coil for $300. I opted out because I think that is a bit overpriced especially considering I just dropped $$$$ for the valves and there was no confidence on his end that it would solve the problem.

So my dilemma do the coil myself and test my craftsmanship, pay to have it done or........

I'm thinking why not leave the oil bolt in permanently its not leaking and drain the oil from the filter. The oil filter on the 99 sv is low to the bottom of the pan. I could add some extra height to the rear of the bike during the change and get the oil to spill out the front.

Is this to idiotic let me know ??

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
The oil that will drain out of the filter is only what is in the passageways from the oil pump. To actually drain the sump you'd need for all the oil to flow through the pump, which it won't when it's not pumping.

Better suggestion: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133647&page=3

Paying the guy $300 to fix the plug seems a tad high to me too. Better to DIY and save some bucks and if you're careful the job will be done better because you'll be more careful. The solid repair inserts are a bit better than a wind-in Helicoil, but either will work.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is a bolt with an Allen head on the underside near the drain plug. You can use that to drain the oil, just get the correct crush washer and don't over tighten it. There was a thread from 2010 in the gen 1 tech section about this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years later... I've been using the same bolt, no modifications, no leaks, no issues

What can I say, maybe the mechanic was trying to screw me ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Years later... I've been using the same bolt, no modifications, no leaks, no issues

Excellent - that you have reported back with the result after several years. So often OPs leave the conclusion hanging, so thank you for returning to round this off.

It is also excellent that you have had no more problems with the oil drain plug - indeed I think such problems are quite rare unless someone over-tightens the bolt by a large amount. My K6 has 135,000 mikes and has a bag of receipts for oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles, so the drain plug has been in and out about 50 times. It still works perfectly, with no leaks.

Good fortune,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts

Excellent. It's hard to cross-thread the sump plug because they usually get wound in by hand (at least for the first few turns), and if they're overtightened the casting around the sump plug often cracks and leaks, rather than stripping out the thread.

If you don't have a torque wrench, treat it like a spark plug: screw it all the way in using your fingers only 'til you can't tighten any more, then tighten another 1/12th of a turn / 30 degrees with a wrench.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the bolts on the carb bodies where stripped out as noted in another thread haha. The mechanic that did the valves and quoted the stripped oil plug was the last person to touch the carbs. hahah I want to blame him but hey I suppose it's just gonna be a mystery of life.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Perhaps check the previous owners to see if one was a gorilla?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Also, the bolts on the carb bodies where stripped out as noted in another thread haha. The mechanic that did the valves and quoted the stripped oil plug was the last person to touch the carbs. hahah I want to blame him but hey I suppose it's just gonna be a mystery of life.
the screws on the carbs are made of swiss cheese and are JIS NOT FILIPS.
that's why they're always stripped out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts