Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired up my bike today; it's been under wraps for close to four months. When I put it away, the Rotella had about 1500 miles on it. What do you think - should I change oil & filter now, or wait another 1500 miles or so?

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
You can't go wrong getting rid of the oil and putting ina new filter.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I would.

It's cheap preventative maintenance.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
When I changed my oil after getting it out of storage there was a little water in it from condensation, so I would say yes that it would probably be a good idea..

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
When I changed my oil after getting it out of storage there was a little water in it from condensation, so I would say yes that it would probably be a good idea..
Typically, that water would vaporize on the first long ride. And since the SV's engine is mostly non-ferrous metal, a little water in the bottom of the sump isn't fatal.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
i was informed to change mine prior to its year long storage and that it will be fine after pulling out that way. with that said did you change it before storage?

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
Fired up my bike today; it's been under wraps for close to four months. When I put it away, the Rotella had about 1500 miles on it. What do you think - should I change oil & filter now, or wait another 1500 miles or so?

:) Hi, It's always a great idea to fire up the bike, let it warm up, and dump the oil and replace it with Fresh Oil and New Filter.

Think of it as spring cleaning for your bikes engine,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
before and after for me... cheap insurance.

a.s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Every 4k with full syn and filter and at the END of the season. From what I have been told its better to change it at the end of the season becuase it gets rid of all the old dirty oil before it sits all winter. I doubt my bike will be around long enough to matter anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
while we're on this topic should I be worried about changing my oil asap? i never really winterized my bike...from november through february I went riding probably once every 2 weeks for 30 min or so on average...i changed the oil at 600 and I'm coming up on 3000 so I'll do it soon anyways, I guess I'm just curious

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
while we're on this topic should I be worried about changing my oil asap? i never really winterized my bike...from november through february I went riding probably once every 2 weeks for 30 min or so on average...i changed the oil at 600 and I'm coming up on 3000 so I'll do it soon anyways, I guess I'm just curious
:) Hi, Follow your normal oil change routine,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
856 Posts
i've been contemplating this thread ,i knew what the answers would be before i even looked , i changed oil before winter , then it stayed dry for a bit and i got maybe 500 miles on the oil,i'm changing it, soon.,

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Every 4k with full syn and filter and at the END of the season. From what I have been told its better to change it at the end of the season becuase it gets rid of all the old dirty oil before it sits all winter. I doubt my bike will be around long enough to matter anyway.
It's best to change the oil and filter at the end of a season before storage to get rid of combustion by-products and other stuff. After changing the oil, while the engine is still warm run the bike for a few minutes to circulate the new oil through it to dilute the old oil left over after draining. You can use cheapo oil for storage purposes.

Then, change the oil again when you bring the bike out from storage. The oil used when storing the bike will have absorbed the combustion by-products leftover from what the prior oil change didn't remove, as well as any condensation built up while in storage. You use your normal oil for this oil change.

So, are you going to explode your bike or sell it to some poor sorry sucker to someone who doesn't care about how you maintained the bike? ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had the same question. how ever mine is a bit different. I changed my oil and filter before storage last November. Next week I plan on bringing it back out of hibernation. The only thing is that in May my inspection is due and I was just gonna have them change the oil and filter then (in may). So i kind of wanted to not change the oil till early may when I get it inspected. Anyone have any thoughts? O and I would only be riding it maybe a few times a week till college is over.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I usually mix my oil with water so I can buy less oil, and instead of replacing the filter I just clean it with pledge....I am planning on grenading it.:nana:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same question. how ever mine is a bit different. I changed my oil and filter before storage last November. Next week I plan on bringing it back out of hibernation. The only thing is that in May my inspection is due and I was just gonna have them change the oil and filter then (in may). So i kind of wanted to not change the oil till early may when I get it inspected. Anyone have any thoughts? O and I would only be riding it maybe a few times a week till college is over.
why not just change it now, and dont have them change it when you get it inspected. you dont take your bike to someone for oil changes do you?

i think this whole change it before/after storage thing is extremely anal. Im not saying you shouldnt do it, I just think its overkill. My bike had about 500 miles since its last oil change when I put it away. It sat for 4 months. I will not be changing the oil until it is time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So does anyone know if I will be ok using Rotella 15W-40 instead of 5-40? I couldn't find the 5-40 at Advanced......

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
It's best to change the oil and filter at the end of a season before storage to get rid of combustion by-products and other stuff. After changing the oil, while the engine is still warm run the bike for a few minutes to circulate the new oil through it to dilute the old oil left over after draining. You can use cheapo oil for storage purposes.

Then, change the oil again when you bring the bike out from storage. The oil used when storing the bike will have absorbed the combustion by-products leftover from what the prior oil change didn't remove, as well as any condensation built up while in storage. You use your normal oil for this oil change.(SNIP))

I agree with the first part - it's best to have fresh oil for storage.

I personally don't think you need to change it after storage if it was changed before.

Data that I have seen showed one advantage to synthetic oil is its closed molecular chain, which stops the oil from oxidizing as quickly as conventional oils with an open molecule that easily joins with any available Oxygen atom.

Jay

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah i usually change mine just before i put it way and just ride away on it in the spring, it sits in a heated garage, so im not too concerned about moisture

1 - 20 of 22 Posts