Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i noticed a build up of oil residue around swingarm, sprocket, engine area and investigated to find that my oil catch can which consists of an empty neutrogena lotion bottle, a rag, and air holes was quite saturated with oil. there was not a lot but the rag was fully saturated. I've temporarily fixed it but I'm wondering what you guys use, or if a catch can is even necessary. If I need one there seems to be a couple snazzy ones on ebay that i may get. thanks for the input.

ps, i have no idea what forum title this should be under

·
Registered
278 Posts
I assume your talking about the crankcase breather?
If you are, what kind of intake do you have? ie: are you using the stock air box?
Is this a track bike? etc...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the crankcase breather, it does use the stock air box

i just rummaged through all my stock stuff and found the stock catch can, i'll probably mount that.

it was a previous race bike that i have converted to street, the race version had a oil catch can in the tail.

I guess my new question is what does the catch can do? and do i need it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok your running into the same kinda thing that I did when I put the ram air on my bike.

What I did was use the stock oil seperator (the funny looking thing that bolts onto the air box) so that the vent tubes function almost stock. Then I pluged the holes in the air box where the seperator used to vent into the box and drilled a hole in the top of the oil seperator. Then I put a brass fitting in the hole and attached a hose to the fitting then ran the hose to the rear of the bike and put a filter on it. Ended up putting it just below the side cover on the left side. (yeah yeah it was dirty at the time of the pic... bite me)

If you look carefully, you will see a small filter under the side cover here.

Ive found this to be a wonderful way to do it. It fixes the oil mess totally. I just replaced the hose and filter about a month ago for the first time in over a year (~12-15k miles)... pretty good life out of things if you ask me.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, yeah that setup will work for me too, thanks for the info
I'm gonna try it all tomorrow

·
Registered
278 Posts
avc8130 said:
Any details on that ram air setup?
Are you actually interested or just curious how it works? Use link, scroll down. There are a couple links to Sport Rider article I ran across while doing research for it. Should give you a working knowlege of it anyway :)

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=47193.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts