Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bouht a 2003 650 and changed the oil withing 5 minutes of being home with my new bike. i rode it for a week with NO ticking and thought "this is great" then i relized i put Way to much oil in! so i drained out some and checked my window. when the bike is running and standing straight up you can barely see oil in the window,but when not running it is at the full line. i then rode the bike with the "correct"? amount of oil and i can hear the TICKING like hell! what do i do? how much oil do i need? is it to high or to low? i am by no means new to bikes but have no FACT on the oil level? help

·
Registered
476 Posts
check your owner's manual for procedure for checking oil level. i believe the manual says to get engine up to operating temperature, then shut it off and wait something like 1 to 3 minutes. with the bike upright, oil level should be between high and low marks in sight window.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thats what i did but, i dont know if theres a benifit for it to be overfilled to stop that tick or not?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
SV cam chains make noise, its a signature SV trait like dry clutches on a Ducati or the whine of gear driven cams on a VFR

·
Registered
105 Posts
overfill it too much and it will cause drag on your motor and could possibly start getting into the combustion chamber via ways it shouldnt and start burning the excess. Just leave it at the correct level and all will be ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts