Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new rear shock and I have yet to find a good comparo write up between these three shocks. I am hoping someone could give their experienced opinion or point me in the right direction to a writeup. Thanks !!!

Ohlins 606

Penske Triple Clicker

Elka 3 Way

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Penske. GG.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Penske. GG.
Appreciate the input. Would you mind elaborating on that just a tid bit? lol. Thanks. Would love to know the pros/cons/benefits/etc

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Penske works best with SV. elkas arent built the best, they just look pretty. nothing wrong with ohlins, just not as good with SV as penske.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Penske is what I would rec,but I just race.They will all be better than stock.No experience w/ the elka,but the penske has about 1/2 the adjustment settings than the ohlins-so its much easier to find the right setting and go

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I wouldn't even bother getting fancy shock for street.

I was talking about racing as well.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
All 3 are light years ahead of the stocker or a GSXR shock.

If for the street, I'd pick the cheapest and go.

If for the track I'd pick either Penske or Ohlins and do that.

I have 2 first gen SV's (race bikes) and the one with the Ohlins handles better. YMMV.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its for racing....well trackdays and hopefully one day racing. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone else?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like penske is the way to go. Now if I could only find a used one on the market. Few and far between from what Ive seen....

·
Registered
392 Posts
sounds like penske is the way to go. Now if I could only find a used one on the market. Few and far between from what Ive seen....
That's what I found. I ended up getting a new one. Do yourself a favor and buy it from the guy that offers suspension support at the track.

Another more affordable option is the twin adjust 8975 shock that Penske has.
I tested one back to back with my 8983 and the performance was on par. You just lose ride height adjustment and the remote res. A good alternative if money is tight.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
All 3 are light years ahead of the stocker or a GSXR shock.

If for the street, I'd pick the cheapest and go.

If for the track I'd pick either Penske or Ohlins and do that.

I have 2 first gen SV's (race bikes) and the one with the Ohlins handles better. YMMV.
odd, was pretty sure most people say the Ohlins isn't long enough.

I know my Fox isn't as long as I'd like. I'd certainly like another 1/2" of ride height, and would raise the front close to as much.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesnt the Ohlins have ride height adjustment though, thus negating the fact it is not originally long enough? One thing I do like about the Penske that Ohlins does not have is the remote reservoir. Seems as though it would make adjustments on the fly so much simpler.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Ohlins has ride height adjustment but you can't set it long enough. Penske can be set longer.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a Penske double clicker with remote resi. At its lowest setting it's still about 1/2 inch longer than stock. Got it from traxxion on sale for 700 something. Night and day from the stock shock it replaced

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well those penskes are tough buggers to find used. Does anyone here race elkas or penskes and can give feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have raced a sv with an elka triple for 3 years and I can't say anything bad about it. In my opinion the biggest factor is who valves it for you and how good or bad he is at there job.
After very little setup time I came up with settings that worked for me. I don't even think of the rear anymore. It's beautiful.

I have a second SV with a double adjustable Penske. It is the backup bike so I haven't ridden it enough to be able to make a fair comparison. The little I have been on it seemed very nice and am sure it is equal to the elka.

Keep an eye out for double adjustable shocks with ride height. Sometimes more adjustments is not necessarily better. Just more things you can get wrong.

Personally I wouldn't get a Ohlins. Too short and valving too far off out of the box has been my comparison.

The other thing to keep an eye out for is shocks from other models that will bolt on. They would need to be resprung and revalved but they may be easier to find.

My elka triple was originally off a 2006 ZX10 I raced for a few years. I sold the bike but kept the shock. Sent it off to the suspension company I use and asked him to put in SV valving and gave him the spring rate I wanted to use. I think it cost me $250 to get the shock serviced with new valving and a new spring.

Make sure the length is proper, shock stroke length is adequate.

John

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you John that was a very informative post! :eek:ccasion14: I did not know a donor shock would work from a diff model bike. I figured I would run into the same problem as the gsxr shock swap (alters tail height). So youre saying just get them resprung and revalved and should be good to go as long as proper length....but what IS proper length. The GSXR rear shock is considered proper length, but not optimal. Im guessing the ZX10 shock would be much closer then? I need to research tht a bit.

would this have fit if I bought it in time?-->http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=25094

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to 2nd gen stuff so can't comment right now.

There is a shock comparison chart link on here somewhere that lists specs for many of the donor shocks you see guys using.

All of the top of the line shocks use basically the same shock but a few things are different. Every bike has different linkage ratios so the actual shock travel is different. Most are between 65mm to 78mm if I remember correctly, so if your bike has a stock stroke of 75mm don't buy one with a travel of 65mm. You would bottom the shock before you use all your suspension travel.
You need a shock with equal or more stroke than the one on your bike.

You need one that is long enough or can be adjusted to your required length. You need one that uses the same upper and lower bolt diameter and mounting configuration.

And of course the valving in each is different because the linkage ratios are different, the spring rates are different etc.

The length of a 2006 zx10 is about 2mm longer than a stock 1st gen sv. This is not the best length for a race bike but the ride height adjustment allows me to get what I need.

The stroke of a zx10 elka shock is around 8mm longer than stock sv so that's not an issue.

The spring rate is wrong but many suspension shops will do a spring swap for a fair price. In my case $50 to switch to the required rate.

If you buy used you don't know anything about the condition of the shock. Don't believe anything the seller says just plan to send it to a proper suspension shop for service. Oil change, inspection for damage parts. If the shock is already apart to be cleaned and serviced it is a minimal additional charge to get the valving removed and have them install valving specifically designed for a sv.

Use a well known ,very reputable shop that does suspension. Someone that tunes race suspension. If I was in the US and had a Penske I would send it to Zoran at TWF and I am sure it would be perfect when it returned or if an Elka I would call Catalyst reaction and deal with them. I believe they are an Elka dealer so would have the parts on hand to do exactly what you need.

Don't send an elka to someone who sells Penske or vise versa. Everyone always pushes what they deal with and you see too much bulls**t oh no that won't work you should have bought this etc etc.

Here is a link to a chart that gives several of the dimensions I am talking about.
http://performanceshock.com/Ohlins_mc_RT.pdf

You also must consider the reservoir configuration. Many of the alternate shocks will require cutting of undertray to fit so if this is for street bike you need to consider this. Mine was race only so cutting is not an issue.

There is alot to consider and I only went this way because I already had the shock and final cost was about $250 to have a triple adjustable. In all honesty it may just be cheaper to buy a brand new Penske or Elka double adjustable bolt it on and go.

JR

1 - 20 of 41 Posts