Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an Ohlins rear shock on there First Generation SV?

I have the ride height almost maxed out and I still don't have enough ride height.

Anyone have a similar problem with this shock. I have the correct spring for my weight, But I'm dragging body work something nasty!

I wish I new how to post a picture on this damn web site!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Hmm, I've got mine raised by about half the maximum amount from "standard" and that does everything I want it to, but then I'm not racing the thing. Did you own the bike from new? Any chance it's got longer dogbones on it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have owned the bike since new. The bike used for racing was once a SV650S model.

The Ohlins shock thats on it now was once on a SV standard. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.

All I know is that I'm dragging body work alot. I'm wearing holes in my body work.

T

·
0 Posts
all Ohlins for sv are short and with soft spring.
what spring you have on it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure about the spring #, but I weigh 150lbs, and thats what Ohlins supposably sent me.

Why do they make them so short? I was just talking to a friend of mine who races an SV to and he's having the same problem with not enough ride height.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll get the # off the bike tonight and post it.

Check back and let me know what you're thinking?

What R U thinking anyway?

You gave me a pretty good explanation before about the SV oil block off plate.

What do you do for a living anyway?

T

·
0 Posts
give me numbers later.I think spring rate is same as stock.
I work with wood :lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the # on the Ohlins Shock thats on my SV650 Race Bike

01093 31/95 L164

TWF, what you think?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you recommend a certain spring rate for me (1 weigh 170lbs fully geared up) I'm 5'8"?

Should I keep the Ohlins shock?

Is a Gixxer or a 636 shock better than what I have?

So are you saying this spring and shock is the same as my stock one?

That Sucks! I thought I was putting a good suspension upgrade on my bike.

Please give some advice!

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall someone mentioned on SV65.org that they'd bought a longer... thingy, height adjuster bolt thing... for their Ohlins shock. Long time ago, so I wouldn't swear by it, but it might be worth contacting them to ask if it's possible to lengthen the shock...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Northwind said:
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall someone mentioned on SV65.org that they'd bought a longer... thingy, height adjuster bolt thing... for their Ohlins shock. Long time ago, so I wouldn't swear by it, but it might be worth contacting them to ask if it's possible to lengthen the shock...
Well, my tool and die friend is already making me a peice of billet that will go in between the top of ths shock and the mount on the frame. He said he's going to give me about 2" more of ride height.

Thanks for the info on that, but I'm curious what TWF is going to say

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
We're all curious what he has to say, as usual :wink: I'd totally agrtee with him that it's built for street use, though. That's not a criticism, after all I'll mainly be using it for street work, so a shock designed totally for track work wouldn't be as good for me, most likely.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know, I figured I was putting a high end shock and good spring on the bike for track use.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Well, spring's not good or bad, just soft- if you wanted a hard spring you could've specced a hard spring, same as any other aftermarket shock. You still can, the unit's dismantlable.

And it is a good quality, fully servicable item with good customer support. The one on my bike's done around 20000 miles and was reconditioned by an Ohlins licensed mechanic just before I bought it, but you'd never know it was older than a month, for example- that's what I mean by being well suited to a street bike, they last. Pure race bits tend not to be designed for long life in my (limited) experience.

T

·
0 Posts
nickbob43 said:
Do you recommend a certain spring rate for me (1 weigh 170lbs fully geared up) I'm 5'8"?

Please give some advice!

Thanks

Nick
shock is good even tough street oriented.your main problem with it is not enough ride hight and soft spring for track use.
you should have 650# spring and shock shoul be able to go to 13 7/8 in lenght(center of eye to center of eye).you can buy longer clevis for shock.
but by the time you get new spring and longer clevis it may be cheaper to sell shock to street guy and buy penske.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TWF said:
nickbob43 said:

Please give some advice!

Thanks

Nick
shock is good even tough street oriented.your main problem with it is not enough ride hight and soft spring for track use.
you should have 650# spring and shock shoul be able to go to 13 7/8 in lenght(center of eye to center of eye).you can buy longer clevis for shock.
but by the time you get new spring and longer clevis it may be cheaper to sell shock to street guy and buy penske.

First off, I'd like to thank you for the time you took to respond to this thread and my questions. :)

Second, I have a stiffer spring that the guy had on the bike before I changed the spring. I'll check and see if it says 650# spring on it.

I'll measure the shock and advise my tool and die friend to make the clevis the correct length to get 13 7/8 length out of the shock.

One more question does the clevis you are talking about mount on the top of the shock between the top of the shock and the frame mount or does it mount on the bottom of the shock? The one we are making mounts on top.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts