Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first bike since having kids 15 years ago. 02 SVS with 5000 miles on the clock, had a full fairing on it and had some neglect. Brought it home pulled the full fairing and started cleaning and scheming...as a reference point I bought an 02 Subie Forester, stock 160 HP, now pushing 200 HP with full STI suspension on it.
Riding it today the suspension leaves A LOT to be desired.
What mods would one start with?
Ultimately, this is the list I want to do, cash allowing

Rear shock swap (not sure which to go with, lots of advice here but no clear answers)
GRXR Front end
Buell dual headlights
TrailTech Vapor
Tires (need now)
Brake pads
Has adj dogbones on it, still too low, looking for stock or shorter ones

how it was when I got it..

4 hrs after getting it and riding 50 miles

·
Registered
426 Posts
Check your key maintenance & safety points as they matter most right now while you ride around still contemplating your options (tires, brakes, chain, air filter, plugs, oil and filter, stock dog bones, valve clearance, etc.)

Once your basics are good to go. I suggest you do a relatively easy MOSFET RR upgrade to address a known SV weakness and avoid charging/electrical issues. Lots of info on the forums (Look around in the stickies for D'Ecosse RR mod)

As you clearly noticed, another weak link on the SV is the suspension. Once the basics are good go nuts on suspension. A tuned up stock suspension with proper springs and modded or Traxxion damper rods and emulator... or go all out with a 600 or 750 GSXR front. Check the modding forum for charts and compatibility matrices, lots of info there. Same goes for the damper rod mods.

As for the rear shock, there is no direct bike to bike swap that is ideal for the 1 Gen SV. A Penske shock adjusted for your weight would be best with Ohlins a close second due to differences in the available ride hight adjustment. (Countless 1G owners have done rear shock swaps from many other bikes, but none are truely perfect. Trust me, I've tried a few.)

If you are performance oriented, putting money on the above should put you in a very good spot.

IMHO headlinghts, Vapor gauges, etc can wait as you have functional ones now and they will remain functional throughout the mods stated above. Then again that's just my 0.02$

FWIW, I am speaking from experience as I've done all performance mods above (and more) and can say they have transformed my SV. And I'm still tinkering on it for fun. lol.

Welcome to the community and best of luck with your new toy! (Looks great!)

p.s. Let me know if you don't want your lower fairing anymore! ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello,

I started with a bone stock 2000 650 N. By far the most beneficial mod Ive done so far is the suspension. It wasn't my first mod (carb rejet) but should've been. I went the more modest route and just upgraded the springs and fork oil up front and a 636 rear shock. After that for me was riding position. I ditched the N bars and put on S clipons with woodcraft rearsets. As time allowed I took care of the R/R, dual lights, flyscreen, exhaust etc.... Been sort of an addiction and something gets changed or upgraded every month. Currently have a complete 2005 GSXR 600 front end waiting to be installed. Good luck with your mods.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unless you're planning on doing racing or lots of track days, a GSXR swap and Penske/Ohlins shock aren't really necessary. Upgrading the springs and fork oil in the front should be fine for most purposes. As for the rear, the easiest swap is a 636 shock--I forget which year, 03-04? I put one on mine earlier this year and it made a huge difference.

GSXR forks and a racing shock definitely add bling, but IMO, you'd be better suited to spend the money elsewhere. I would definitely look at upgrading the exhaust, one of the best aspects of the SV is it's exhaust note, and the stock muffler doesn't do it any justice. I'd look into getting a slip on at the very least, and if you don't do the GSXR swap and/or racing shock, you should easily be able to afford a full system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kinda off topic, but what mods did you do to boost the HP on the forester?
For front suspension, I went with the F3 upper and internmal s with my racetech springs. Great and cheap. Rear is a 636 shock. Really a different bike now. Frame sliders are a good first step too!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Certainly perform the MOSFET R/R upgrade. Two days after I picked up my 2000 SV it went out. I was lucky and smelled the R/R before I was left stranded or worse - burnt out the stator.

Pretty much change the things that will leave you on the side of the road unless you have a trailer. :)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't aware of the MOSFET R/R issue but will check into it. Sliders and tires were ordered and I am waiting on them to deliver. Ordered an 04 636 shock and planning on changing fork oil soon. I have changed all fluids, brake pads, flushed and bled the rear brakes front brakes, changed to the speedmetal levers (buy one get one free) I have small hands and they are more comfortable for me.
I plan to ride it often and with the new F1 track in town, going to attend track days (I hope).

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday I installed 97mm dogbones and zx636 rear shock. Should have ridden yesterday and wrenched today since its raining

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts