Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a newbie with 1100 miles under my belt on my 07 SV. This is my first bike and I've only ridden it and the Eliminator during the MSF course last July. While looking at bikes, I always had the Triumph in mind, but it was a bit over my budget, so I went with the SV based on all the research and I folks I talked to.

There was a Triumph demo truck at Hattar Motorsports in San Rafael, CA over this weekend. I went out yesterday to ride the Street Triple 675...in this bright green color!

Demo route

And wow, such a world of difference between my SV650 and the ST675. Clutch lever operation was very light and shifting gears seemed so effortless. Throttle response was smooth and linear compared to my SV. The seating position I think was a bit better than the SV, at least for me and my 5'8" frame.

To me, with little experience on other bikes, the Triumph seemed more refined in it's operation and smoothness. It felt like it did have power down low and mid range despite it's 13.5k redline. I felt bad about falling in love with another bike. I hope my SV doesn't find out! LOL

But riding mine home, I felt I still made an overall good choice with the SV. But I think my next bike might just be the Street Triple 675.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i am torn between the st675r and the daytona 675... i love riding naked, but sometimes i wish i had that fairing and aggressive riding position...

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Street Triple is an awesome bike. A local dealer had a recent open house and was featuring demo rides, but unfortunately the Street Triple was not in the demo. Oh well, nothing like living vicariously.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Actually, the SV has a pretty smooth and linear power curve...the Street Triple just makes more peak power so when you would normally shift the SV, the ST is just pulling hard for another 3,000rpms. The ST makes a bit over 100hp too.

I know what you mean though, I rode a Ducati Monster 1100 S demo a few weeks ago. That thing is light as a Street Triple, makes 95hp and 70ft lbs of torque. I actually found myself pulling a wheelie as I took off from a light after spending about 20 minutes on the bike and I was on my way back to the dealer showroom.

I honestly can't decide which I want more, the Ducati Monster 1100 S, the Triumph Street Triple R or the Triumph Speed Triple. I'll have to test ride the two Triumphs before I make my decision. I'm not really itching to get a new bike yet though. I'm still tweaking my bike...I have some GSXR brakes on the way and some Stomp Grip tank pads this week.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my next one will be a daytona...im just hoping that by the time i decide i need something new they will offer it in the liter class again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went up and had a look at my nearest Triumph dealership, which is 70 miles away. Made for a good excuse for a nice ride and fell in love with the 675 myself. They had the Arrow exhaust and man did it sound good!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
In Jose voice, "Shut Up Yodaisgod!" You should buy used track SV as second half Impact subsitute! lol

Do you watch special1tv on the web or do you have setanta?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Both.

"It's not Malaria likecch!" ;D
HAHAH I can't believe someone on SVRider ends up being the 3rd person I have ever met who enjoys that show.

Beep! Please leave a message after lofty, ivory tower music! - Stingey Voyeur!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I feel your pain. I rode a Street Triple R this past weekend. Great bike. Now I keep thinking about how I can purchase one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I made the same mistake shortly after I bought my SV - I rode an '07 ZX-6R. It was smooth, stable as heck, sounded awesome and was a joy to ride...I regretted my decision of buying the SV for a long time. That is, until I hit the joyful roads of Arkansas. That little V-Twin has the perfect amount of power/torque/engine braking, along with light, nimble handling to be way too much fun. Don't get me wrong - I would still love a ZX-6R, or GSX-R750, or R1, or RSV1000R, or any number of other bikes, but for now I am happy with my SV.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Actually, the SV has a pretty smooth and linear power curve...the Street Triple just makes more peak power so when you would normally shift the SV, the ST is just pulling hard for another 3,000rpms. The ST makes a bit over 100hp too.

I know what you mean though, I rode a Ducati Monster 1100 S demo a few weeks ago. That thing is light as a Street Triple, makes 95hp and 70ft lbs of torque. I actually found myself pulling a wheelie as I took off from a light after spending about 20 minutes on the bike and I was on my way back to the dealer showroom.

I honestly can't decide which I want more, the Ducati Monster 1100 S, the Triumph Street Triple R or the Triumph Speed Triple. I'll have to test ride the two Triumphs before I make my decision. I'm not really itching to get a new bike yet though. I'm still tweaking my bike...I have some GSXR brakes on the way and some Stomp Grip tank pads this week.
Don't ride away on a new Triumph without test riding this:

It changes everything. It's the same engine as the speed triple on a distance tourer that you can strip the bags off of and ride like a sport

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your not helping hatchetman! The dealer also had a Sprint with ABS available for demo. I didn't ride it. I regret that. The Street Triple is on my list for next bike. But I really do like the Sprint also. I think a sport touring bike would be very nice to have.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That Sprint looks great.

But then I got all hung up on how tiny the kickstand is. Seriously- it's like one of Nicole Ritchie's arms! How is it holding the bike up?? Heh.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't ride away on a new Triumph without test riding this:

It changes everything. It's the same engine as the speed triple on a distance tourer that you can strip the bags off of and ride like a sport
I just bought one on Friday! I Loooove it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Please post a review once you get some miles on it! I would be interested in hearing about the bike. My one concern that this would be my 2nd bike. The Street Triple is a moderate step up from the SV. I was concerned that the Sprint would be too large of a step.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts