Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, let me tell a story, then ask a question. I'm looking for some constructive discussion.

Working in Law Enforcement, I work with a lot of attorney's. There is one attorney I know pretty well that took a 2000 Hayabusa as payment for legal representation two years ago. The client didn't have money, so he signed over the title to the attorney. The client owed $7,000, and the attorney called everything even. This attorney does not ride motorcycles at all, nor does he have any intention of learning how to ride.

The bike has approximately 8,000 miles on it, and has been ridden sporadically by the attorneys' 30 year-old cousin over the last two summers. He says the bike has a broken clutch lever and a few minor scrapes on the exhaust due to him trying to move it in the garage, and he let it down really nice. He says it runs really nice and starts right up. A girl I work with said she rode on the back of the bike this last summer and said there weren't any problems with it (she rides a Honda 250).

I looked up the value of the bike on NADA's website, and it says it's worth between $3,600 and $4,200. KBB says it's worth about $6,100. I've been riding since I was 16, and I'm now 29. Started out on a 1986 Honda Interceptor 700cc, went to the SV650 for a few years (until it was stolen), and have been riding a 2005 GSXR 600 for the last two years. I want to do long trips, and do not like the cruiser style of bike. What should I offer this guy for the bike?

One of my buddies MAY be interested in buying my 600, but is not going to make a decision until spring. I was thinking about buying this Hayabusa as a second bike, if the price is right. Now, you can all flame me for wanting this bike, but I'm not too worried about it. I don't really care about the power or how fast it goes, I really am encouraged to see how it would be as a touring bike.

Here are my options if I decide to buy this bike.

A: Buy it, and keep the 600. Best of two worlds (not of all the worlds).

B: Buy it, and sell the 600 to my buddy for what I owe on it which is currently $4,900 (he needs a bike since he wrecked his SV1000N two summers ago).

C: Buy it, and sell the 600 to someone other than my buddy in the spring for more than I owe on it.

BTW, State Farm said they would insure me on the Hayabusa with full coverage, collision, etc. for $21/mo. (HOLY SH!T)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$21/mo. is in addition to the GSXR and car. As far as an offer, I don't want to pay the $6,100 KBB value. I'd rather pay the $3,600 NADA value. I printed out the NADA value sheet, and am going to show him on Saturday when I go and test ride the Hayabusa. From the people that know him best, they say he doesn't know anything about motorcycles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i'd say go for it, don't know which option would be best for you though. it sucks that we have to be worried about getting flamed on this site for purchasing a certain type of motorcycle...

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I see it in a few days, I have a checklist of things I want to inspect. Let me know if there is anything/s I forgot to mention.

1. Rust inside the gas tank.
2. Dark colored gas.
3. Dry rotted tires.
4. Milky or extremely dark oil.
5. Damage that he has not brought up.
6. Brake pad wear and warped rotors. (taking a ride at speed and braking to determine warp)
7. Mileage

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
The only problem I could maybe see using a busa as a touring bike is the ergos. If you're okay with that, throw some bags on it, and off you go. Why should we flame?

Can't help with costs/offers. Only you can really know what you want to spend. Good luck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The only problem I could maybe see using a busa as a touring bike is the ergos. If you're okay with that, throw some bags on it, and off you go. Why should we flame?

Can't help with costs/offers. Only you can really know what you want to spend. Good luck.
it's actually quite comfortable for touring. relative to like, a gsxr600, for instance. it's set up more for long distance touring.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flame? Some folks see big bikes as trying to compensate for lack of masculinity, trying to impress others, squiddy, or too much for the street.

Almost forgot, the bike is in complete stock form.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
A riding buddy used to have a hayabusa, used it for longer rides with his wife on back. He got carpel tunnel in his right wrist, and sold it. He regrets it, saying it was comfortable, but his wrist just couldn't take it anymore.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Check on what's going to happen to your insurance premiums when (if) you sell the 600. You may be getting a multiple-vehicle discount that will go away.

But no flames here for wanting a 'busa. Having one under me would scare the $h!t out of me, but then again I've only been riding for 3 months or so.

Only you can pick the right option for you though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i say go for it whats the worst he can say... no?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check on what's going to happen to your insurance premiums when (if) you sell the 600. You may be getting a multiple-vehicle discount that will go away.

But no flames here for wanting a 'busa. Having one under me would scare the $h!t out of me, but then again I've only been riding for 3 months or so.

Only you can pick the right option for you though.
I have a multiple vehicle discount right now with a car and the 600. If I bought the busa and sold the 600, I would still have that discount, and obviously I would still have the discount if I kept both bikes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I say that if you want it, can afford it, and have no s/o that is going to divorce you if you buy a second bike, then you should buy it. You can always sell it, and possibly at a profit.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Not really good for what you want it for... they''ll eat miles **** quickly, but for actual touring they're quite uncomfortable and death on the wrists... seriously, even a late GSXR1000 is more comfy. A Blackbird or a ZX14 (or whatever they're called in the states) is a better choice. GTR1400 is a whole heap more dollars, but a kick arse tourer, worth taking one for a hoon, they're stellar.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Not really good for what you want it for...

agreed. for touring you will probably be more comfortable with a more upright posture. last month cycle world listed the suzuki bandit 1200 as one of the 10 best used bike buys. i owned one for ten years/56000 mi. with no issues, about 35mpg city/ max 48mpg on the freeway. also got between 10000-12000 miles out of a set of tires, riding conservatively, and i'll bet the busa eats tires for lunch with all the extra weight and power.
another good option might be a honda interceptor.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A Hayabusa can easily be made into an awesome tourer. Convertibars or Heli-bars will take car of that wrists issue. Plenty folks on STN with Busa.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd say go for it, I learned to ride on an 04 and it's just a big comfy dream to ride compared to the Sv or most ss bikes I've ridden. The ergos are a bit tight for a touring bike but I think a set of lowered pegs would make up for it, the way the clipons mount it would be impossible to raise them so a custom tripple or possibly one from another bike even would be needed to mount handlebars cleanly...but that should'nt really be a concern unless your riding halfway across the country.

As a touring bike I think your worst fear of the busa should be 130mph in first gear and cruising at 120 without realizing it...their just that smooth.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I rode my friends Busa before,
It's a SWEET touring bike, & it don't corner that bad neither.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My dad has a friend who has one and uses it for touring and does just fine. I'd buy it if you have the money. Plus you could get to where your going pretty fast :) if one so desired.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I found the busa (not so great) in the comfort department for touring.

But hey if you find THAT position comfortable for touring to each his/her own.

Buy- windscreen first,risers,and rearsets. [email protected] for that price you could get a nice ZG(connie) that is 100X more comfortable and no slough either.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts