Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted before about some engine noises that have been concerning me on my 2005 SV650S. The bike has been at the dealership for about a month now, i thought, with the information i have found on this site that it was a cam chain tensioner. I was almost positive that, that is what is was, sounded just like it. Turns out, when they pulled the oil filter off and dissected it, it was full of bearing material. First of all, this was about the worst news i could get, i am making the assumption that it is the rod bearing, and i am positive that it is from the front cylinder, just by listening to where the noise comes from. Before discovering this, an oil press test was done, it was making 23 psi at 3000 rpms, and it is supposed to make 29 psi. Could this lack of oil pressure cause the bearing to get too hot and fail? I don't want to settle for them just fixing the bearing and oil pump. Metal shavings spread fast, and now I'm concerned that this is going to become a much bigger problem. Scarring on the cylinders walls, clogging oil passages and more. What do I do, I want Suzuki to replace the engine, but how unlikely is it that, that will happen...? As of now, it is still likely a warrantiable issue, but now official determination can be made until the motor is actually dissected. Problem is, is they end up getting inside and find something that leads them to believe that it isn't a warranty issue, i have to foot the bill for everything: labor, parts, time. What do I do? Any help is appreciated. Thanx riders.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm in this club too...

Can you honestly tell the dealership you weren't doing wheelies? Were you? Mine blew (2002 model) a few months ago and I never wheelie, so it is possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
How could they "find something inside, to make it a unwarrantable issue"? This is an '05 we're talking about right? No way it's not covered. I would insist on a new engine, but I would also look into your state's "lemon laws".

Unless, of course, you are a wheelie monster...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
BlueBeauty2005 said:
  Before discovering this, an oil press test was done, it was making 23 psi at 3000 rpms, and it is supposed to make 29 psi.  Could this lack of oil pressure cause the bearing to get too hot and fail?  I don't want to settle for them just fixing the bearing and oil pump.
Actually, it's the other way around, the bad bearing causes the oil pressure to drop, low oil pressure is a result of worn bearings

·
Registered
629 Posts
let us know what you find out. I would call suzuki customer service if the dealer only replaces the bad bearing and nothing else. Bearing material sounds like ball bearings came apart...correct??If the ball bearings came apart I would make sure they get all of them. Hate for one of those suckers to become lodge in the tranny.

Also, were you doing wheelies?? I have a 05 so this is very interesting to me. What did it sound like and what area did it appear to come from or could you tell? The noises mine is making go away when I pull the clutch in.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Rod bearings are plain shells, not ball bearings. The pressure side of the oil passages should be fine since they are protected by the filter. You could have some cylinder scratching, but that's not terribly likely. What they will look for is obvious signs of abuse. Primarily, did the oil pump cavitate a lot, gall up, and is there other evidence of oil starvation? If the answer is yes then they can claim that you wheelied too long and starved the pump. Without that sort of evidence it should be a warranty job. The evidence is not arguable, it's either there or it isn't.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
:eek: thats lame indeed. the dealer ship better fix it because thats crap unless you were doing like highway wheelies every day i don't see any reason for that to have happened. i ride an 05 and i'm prone to the occasional wheelie (just short up and down wheelies) and my bike has 11k miles on it with no problems and nothing in the oil as of the last prescribed oil change. how many miles on it? this smells like a lemon to me.

G

·
andyauger said:
The pressure side of the oil passages should be fine since they are protected by the filter.
not realy.there are some interesting things in this motors that will make rod bearing go bad even without doing wheelies.it is rare but it does happen.and it is factory fault at assembly line.
filter my protect from stuff coming from that side but not from what is there already.
when rod bearing goes bad crank goes with it.in this case you need new rod,crank,rod bearing.oil pump should be inspected.everything else should be fine.
also all oil galleries and jets should be inspected and cleaned.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
TWF said:
for that money you can build 80+hp motor  ;)
or buy a stunt bike to do wheelies on you squid.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
TWF, what I was talking to was the comment about metal chunks clogging the oil passages. On the crank end there are no drain back galleries so the filter will catch anything thrown off by the crankpin journal bearings or the crank bearings. Top end destruction can result in bits and pieces getting stuck in the drain galleries. The pressure sides of the oil passages are protected by the filter. Cylinder scoring can happen because metal chunkies can get slung up on the cylinder walls. If the chunks are big there's no worries. The problem comes if the pieces are small enough to lodge between the piston skirts and the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So...this lack of oil pressure is because the bearing spun? Not, the bearing spun because of lack of oil. I want a new motor out of this. Bull shit that the cylander wall are ok, when bearings fail they produce a bunch of metal shavings, amongst metal particles of all sizes that go EVERYWHERE and get there fast. What is going to be evidance that i did wheelie it (which i did, but nothing like highway wheelie's, never more then 500 ft). How can they prove i did? Here's something else that I just thought of, the bike has been making this noise since the dealership changed the oil at the 6500 mile service, 8000 on it now. What happens if it is a "lemon"? I hate how we are referring to my baby as a peice of fruit. It sounds like a rattle, distincly comming form front cylander. A rattle that is dependent on RPM. Just like a cam chain tensioner, except louder i guess, i was sure that it was a tensioner. "there are some interesting things in this motors that will make rod bearing go bad even without doing wheelies.it is rare but it does happen.and it is factory fault at assembly line." What are these rare occurances that your referring to? 2600$ for rebuild, are you joking me? I better be able to build a 80+ hp motor. That is of course what I would do, but I am a college student, i don't have that kind of money.

G

·
I will not talk about rare cases here but wheelies will do this in 99% of times.
since your bike is under waranty dealer should deal with it.
like I said cylinders will most like be fine.crank,rod,rod bearings and main crank bearings are history.
everything else should be fine.
at retail prices,if you paying for this work,you have around $1000 in parts.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
weee. glad i haven't canceled my warranty yet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
get a detailed parts list of what all they replaced for future records...don't let them give you some crappy sheet of paper that says warranty work on it with your signature and thats it. Always good to have detailed records and maybe your own little notes added as an attachment in case it arises again or they don't fix it properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any ideas where I could get a detailed parts list and possibly an engine skematic? Warranty is up on january 18. I did by a priority care plan however, that is a three year extended warranty plus all factory maintenance for three years. (bought it for the warranty). This warranty was through the dealership though. It is a factory warranty.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts