Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed galfer SS brake lines, added new fluid flushed and what not. Unfortunately when I put the system under pressure brake fluid is slowly leaking around the threads of the left hand bleeder valve on the caliper :(
people have mentioned using teflon tape around the threads, is that a good idea?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the bleeder valve tight?, Tape will work, but you shoudn't put a band aid on the problem(i. e. Teflon tape) you shouldfind out why it is leaking now and it wasn;t before. What have you changed?

G

·
Re: Oh No! brake fluid leaking around threads of brake bleeder valve on LH calip

brake fluid will eat teflon,not good idea.
take bleeder out and check sealing surfaces.clean and install.if damaged replace.
sometime it just needs to be tighten little more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure it was torqued down too much last july damaging the threads... however it wasn't disturbed and hence didn't leak. When I bled the brakes I had to unscrew the bleeder valve, now it leaks a bit even when torqued to proper spec.

Uh, brake fluid eats Teflon? Check closely to see what lines your brakelines, dollars to donuts it is PTFE which is a fancy name for teflon.

atek3

G

·
Re: Oh No! brake fluid leaking around threads of brake bleeder valve on LH calip

treads are not what seals fluid.the tip of bleeder is.
I would never use teflon tape on those treads,but you dont have to listen to me.not everybody has same experience.maybe it was fluid I used.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"don't use t tape" has been echo'd by just about everyone who read my plight.

I think the best I can do is try unscrewing the bleeder valve, cleaning the threads, torque it to the right spec and pray.

Oh well... live and learn I guess.

atek3

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Go to the local auto parts store and see if they have a soft nosed bleeder. You can find bleeders with copper tips. These will seal galled seats (up to a point). If that doesn't work you may have to replace the caliper. If it does work you better buy a couple to have around. They don't last as long as the steel tips. After a couple of loosening/tightenings they can start leaking.

I have seen some machine shops recut the seat in the caliper, but it is a delicate process. The cost is usually more than a new caliper.

Brake fluid will not damage teflon tape, but as was mentioned, the threads are not what seals the fluid in. The fluid is sealed in by the cone of the bleeder screw against the angled seat in the caliper.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's an awesome idea andy, how do I know what size bleeder to buy? are they universal in size?

atek3

·
Registered
6,503 Posts

The best way is to have the old one in hand. The neatest way to do this is to remove the bleeder quickly and plug the hole with a rubber plug. Then you can bring the bleeder to the store (using another vehicle, of course). What you don't want to have happen is to leak off so much brake fluid that you get air in the system. Top off the reservoir before you pull the rubber plug to reinstall the bleeder.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually... I might be okay. The system isn't leaking and I my brakes are operating better than ever. After I get my speedbleeders in i'm going to take it to my mechanic and have him look over the threads and seating area of the caliper, if they are fine, put in the speedbleeder, if they aren't I'll get a new caliper off of ebay.

thanks for the help.

atek3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts