Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I can't seem to understand is everyone's fear of the dreaded "Mold release monster" :eek: that comes with new tires.

After deciding on a replacement tire for the SV, I started reading stories of people crashing from mold release and that you had to be super duper extra careful until it wears away.

Well, after having the new shoes mounted and the first ride taken. The only difference or thing noticed was how great new tires feel as compared to the worn-out stock Dunlops I was using previously.

So I have to ask. Do people really see their tires slipping and sliding in the first hundred miles before the mold release monster dies?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I think it's just people too used to being ham fisted with tires. Racers mount their new tires and take them straight out onto the track, usually with the stickers still on.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I think it's just people too used to being ham fisted with tires. Racers mount their new tires and take them straight out onto the track, usually with the stickers still on.
yeah, but everybody knows racers are the coolest.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
For two years in a row, I took brand new Michlins with not even 10 feet of rolling on the tires and broke them in on the dragon.

Can't think of a better place to scrub off that "dreaded mold release agent!" :evil6:

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Some runs of tires have more release than others, so it varies. It's not hard to clean them either with dish soap or a quick spray down with Bra-Kleen, so why take the chance?

Also, mold release is worse on some types of pavement. Good concrete or new asphalt, not too bad. Old asphalt or damp roads can be very slippery with mold release. It doesn't take long to ride it off, but again, why take a chance, especially to get the edges rubbed off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing that I can't seem to understand is everyone's fear of the dreaded "Mold release monster" :eek: that comes with new tires.

After deciding on a replacement tire for the SV, I started reading stories of people crashing from mold release and that you had to be super duper extra careful until it wears away.

Well, after having the new shoes mounted and the first ride taken. The only difference or thing noticed was how great new tires feel as compared to the worn-out stock Dunlops I was using previously.

So I have to ask. Do people really see their tires slipping and sliding in the first hundred miles before the mold release monster dies?

myth...

modern tires are molded without mold release

·
Registered
714 Posts
A michelin rep once told me a squirt of brake cleaner on a rag, wiped on the tire is all you need to remove mold release quickly, ( he did say do NOT spray it on the tire.)
If you don't want to ride it off carefully.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
"Racers mount their new tires and take them straight out onto the track, usually with the stickers still on."

Yea, out on the track for a couple of easy laps to scrub them in. I always get a little slip with new tires for a couple of laps. It's go easy time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is an interesting article on tire myths.....

http://www.sportrider.com/tips/146_0810_how_to_warm_up_new_tires/index.html

A quote from the article...

First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
My dunlops were super slick when I first got them, the back shot out on me at least three times before I got home and washed them down with dish soap. Maybe it was mold release, maybe not, maybe it was the road with all the polished rocks showing through the concrete...but I know I did'nt have that problem once I got them clean and scuffed up.

If it was'nt mold release I have no other reason to explain why I almost lowsided three times manuevering dry city streets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can attest to new tires being very slick. Got a screw in my back tire after just breaking in my '07... when the put the new tire on I felt a slide as soon as I was moving around the parking lot. I have no idea if its mold release substance or not but it sure was slick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts