Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so I'm staying at a good friend's house, and he says, "Why don't we trade bikes for a week or so?" He's got a cherry 04 CBR600RR with barely 3000 miles on it, and since there's a 1.5 year old kid in his house, the poor bike hasn't moved in 3 months. I say "sure!" and ride the thing from Claremont to Venice (in socal).

My opinion after the first hr-long highway drive: This thing is a friggin' TORTURE RACK. Can't find a good seating position, my back is killing me, he doesn't have stomp grip/tank pads and I keep sliding the boys into the tank when I brake hard. The underseat exhaust is baking my ass, I feel like I'm perched WAY up on top of the bike in comparison to the SV, and I'm uncomfortable when cornering. The powerband is crazy-different from what I'm used to, I'm always in the wrong gear at low speeds and revving the thing up to 15,000rpm is scary for a 650 twin kind of guy. I'm sliding all over the top of the bike in my textile suit, and I'm delighted to get back to Venice and get off the darn thing.

My opinion after taking the thing on numerous shopping trips into LA: The mirrors suck almost as bad as the SVS mirrors, I can see my elbows quite clearly. They also stick WAY out and make lane sharing an exercise in swerving as much as splitting. The seat splays my legs out wide like I'm riding a horse, I can barely get my toes down at stoplights and I have to get off the bike to maneuver it in low-speed parking lot situations for fear of dropping it. My back is still sore from the initial ride, and I'm wondering who on earth can LIVE with bikes like these. Threading through jammed christmas traffic on La Cienega takes so much more effort on the RR, I'm shifting and clutching and fidgeting all the time whereas I would have been happily chugging in 1st on the SV.

My opinion after getting the hell out of the city and spending a full day in the canyons: WOW. The power rush on this lil' 600 feels CRAZY FAST in comparison to the SV. I kept finding myself going way too fast, so I tried my best to slow down and chill out but the bike puts you in the perfect position for attacking the corners with a vengeance. On several corners I found myself having to brake DEEP as the corner entry speed was a lot faster than I had expected. It doesn't "flick" as well as an SV and it takes a hell of a lot more concentration and chutzpah to ride it hard (well, for me anyway), but it's addicting. Having power up top and being able to KEEP accelerating after 100mph is a revelation! On one straight I pushed it a little and chickened out around 140, but this thing was still pulling hard. I noticed that the seating position I was bitching about earlier made it easier to climb around and hang off the bike, and the suspension definitely works better than my modded SV suspension (zx10R shock, springs, emulators, oil). I find myself woindering when that new GSX-R 600 will be hitting the showrooms.

The one thing I can't stop thinking about: the SV allows you to have fun at much slower and almost-legal speeds. I wonder if we shouldn't just be happy with that? Sigh...

·
Registered
836 Posts
There's something about the way an i-4 delivers its power which really just gives takes the breath out of me sometimes. 8)

I love the smoothness, the attack position, and the top shelf components.

The ergonomics on the CBR are nothing remarkable...and the seat is seriously a plank...it hurts, almost on contact.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
scottyu said:
The one thing I can't stop thinking about: the SV allows you to have fun at much slower and almost-legal speeds. I wonder if we shouldn't just be happy with that? Sigh...
BINGO.....That is why the SV is the ultimate do it all machine. Plus its much more fun to ride a lesser bike to its full potential than a near race bike at 65%. Now if you are doing track days all the time, the CBR might be a good choice. Remember that old girlfriend that was so easy to be with and you wish you hadnt broken up with years later?.............. ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morpheous said:
Remember that old girlfriend that was so easy to be with and you wish you hadnt broken up with years later?.............. ;D
haaahaha... that's a good one :)

...the RATIONAL side of me is saying "Morpheous is right, shut up and be happy" and the SQUIDLY side of me is saying "When does the '06 GSX-R hit the showrooms?!!"

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yea, the I-4 top-end rush can be addicting. I agree that the 600RR is a torture rack, I hated riding mine on the street until I got to the twisties. But when it came down to it, a highly modified SV was a much better bike for me to ride fast on, and I was able to go faster at the track on my SV than I could on my RR (mostly unmodified other than fork springs), with a MUCH larger margin for error.

·
Registered
899 Posts
AGREE!  I sold my CBR600RR this year and fell in love with the SV!  I4s are fun in their own right, but it is hard to beat the good old V-Twin!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I rode a 600RR on the track earlier this year. I rented it so I was able to flog the pee out of it all day and I must say that it is a heck of a bike. I couldn't imagine the riding postion being fun on the street, and 112mph in 2nd gear seems like it pretty well kills the option of a quasi legal run through the first 3 gears. I'd say it would be a better track bike than the SV simply because rather than getting held up in the corners you can blow by people before you get to the corners, but I would never want one for anything else.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep. I felt like my GSXR750 was a devil on my shoulder constantly saying "Go faaaaster, go faaaaaster, wind it up, pass that guy" etc. When I got my SV I was totally delighted by how much fun it was when I was going at legal speeds!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well it looks like you discovered the strengths of both bikes... the SV for comfort, confidence and all-around use... the CBR for aggressive race-type riding.... which is what it was designed for. Its certainly no commuter. And since only a small percentage of us spend more time at the track than on the street, its no wonder we went for the SV. Plus its a lot easier to make the SV a track monster than to make the CBR fun to ride to work every day, hehehe! ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased an 05 600rr less than a month ago. I still have my SV. I have to agree with most of you. Yes, the SV is a lot more comfortable. It's a much better city communter, fun at legal speeds. But the smoothness of the rr's engine can't compare with the SV. I bought the sv for the linear torque, but man.. the rr just keeps pulling. Yes, it's uncomfortable and I can't ride it for over 2 hours straight. But man.. the rr (to me) is more of a rush... but I love them both equallly..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cound not have said it better. I traded in my 98 CBR for an 03 SVN for all the reasons you said.

I had a 91 Zephyr, which I loved!!! before I got the CBR, and after he honeymoon period, I realized that I better get something more >50 friendly and more like my beloved zephyr before I kill myself..

PS Amen on the CBR sea feeling like a plank,,

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
My buddy's 04 600rr has a much more comfortable seating position than my 02 SVS IMHO; I am 6'2". But I could never even find the end of 1st gear...

-josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The story had a bittersweet ending - I got busted on the Angeles Crest Highway for doing a mere 68 in a 55, just coasting off-throttle down a mild hill and looking at the scenery.

I think the engine braking on the SV could have saved me from a ticket :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went from an '01 SVS, to a Falco, but couldn't stand the reliability problems, so got myself a new '04 GSXR600. It was a fantastic machine, more comfortable than the RR (which I tried) I toured Europe on it for a week doing 350 mile days without a problem. But then I had a back problem, and the riding position was killing me, so I got a CBR954. More friendly riding position, loads of torque, and I tend to ride it slower as the top end rush isn't so important.

I love that IL4 power delivery, and the manic sound of the GSXR at 15k rpm with a race can gives such an adrenalin rush... However, I love the Honda to bits, and have a '05 naked SV on order, so I can have the best of both worlds.

They are two very different beasts, personally I like them both, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hear hear. I was totally in a power/suspension depression after I returned his RR, but then after a good 23-30 miles of splitting lanes and cutting through LA traffic, I'm remembering why this thing is such a hoot in city traffic as well as the twisties. I think Jelster's right: everyone needs a supersport AND an SV ;D
Jelster said:
I went from an '01 SVS, to a Falco, but couldn't stand the reliability problems, so got myself a new '04 GSXR600. It was a fantastic machine, more comfortable than the RR (which I tried) I toured Europe on it for a week doing 350 mile days without a problem. But then I had a back problem, and the riding position was killing me, so I got a CBR954. More friendly riding position, loads of torque, and I tend to ride it slower as the top end rush isn't so important.

I love that IL4 power delivery, and the manic sound of the GSXR at 15k rpm with a race can gives such an adrenalin rush... However, I love the Honda to bits, and have a '05 naked SV on order, so I can have the best of both worlds.

They are two very different beasts, personally I like them both, but for different reasons.

G

·
i think the SV is such a great bike like people have said because its a "do it all bike" i love the fact i use it to get to college in the week (50 mile roudn trip) and then can keep up with people i ride with all on IL4s (you do have to push it on mind!!lol)

i also like the fact on the the curvy one you can sit quite straight up or right down behind the screen. before i had a RS125 which is very race position and used to kill my arms, SV650s 10x better for my needs!! ;D

·
Registered
71 Posts
A little bit of a mismatch for comparison purposes but at least the plus points of each bike were highlighted. The SV being less focused is more flexible than any race rep type bike and is no less a machine for that. It's state of tune is also entirely different and this should also be borne in mind,it is not simply a matter of the IL4 power delivery Vs. V twin delivery.
The Sv can put a big smile on the face of owners to the same degree as those enjoyed by race rep riders. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts