Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1308 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I decided to make this thread after spotting over 10 SV's (1st and 2 Gens) on my daily rides around New York City (all boroughs) and im sure there are more out there.

So let the thread begin, hopefully someday we can do a local meet and share shop experiences and local riding/parking tips.

-1st Gen 99' Red here, Manhattan.

Shop Tips:
JL Cycles in Queens - 34-08 46th St in LIC -718-289-6501 These guys are super nice, knowledgeable, VERY VERY cheap compared to everyone else (I used to go to Camrod), and they do free pickups with a trailer if they are going to work on your bike. The owner Jay is some cowboy from Texas (hat and boots), they just did my fork seals and detailed the bike. They paint too, ill have them do my wheels soon. Right off the 59th st bridge.

And no I have no affiliation with these people.

Anyway what do you guys think? Do a meet someday?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I live in Rockland/Orange County but I work in the city. You will probably see my bike from time to time. I am just curious, would you know how expensive painting is at that shop?

I have a friend that lives around that area too.... he rides a M900 Monster.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Rockland/Orange County but I work in the city. You will probably see my bike from time to time. I am just curious, would you know how expensive painting is at that shop?

I have a friend that lives around that area too.... he rides a M900 Monster.
Just call them, ask for the owner Jay, I'm sure its reasonable. He's pretty cheap compared to other places, I want to do my wheels in black or red, he told me when I'm ready to call him and he will schedule me in. Thing is my front wheel has a dent but no wobble, and he said he can fix but I think I might just buy 2nd gen wheels in black.

If I see you around ill definitely say whats up.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Just call them, ask for the owner Jay, I'm sure its reasonable. He's pretty cheap compared to other places, I want to do my wheels in black or red, he told me when I'm ready to call him and he will schedule me in. Thing is my front wheel has a dent but no wobble, and he said he can fix but I think I might just buy 2nd gen wheels in black.

If I see you around ill definitely say whats up.
I ride with a few people in the Spring/Summer so I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm in Manhattan also.

I have a 02" Blue with lots of mods. Might have to check out that place,even though I hate going to Queens, I always get lost.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've seen your bike in the W. Village before, good stuff man. Keep coming to the thread fellas, I'm set up a meet if we get a good 8-10 heads.

I get lost in queens too but this place is right off the 59th ST bridge, R train 46th stop, easy to get to. Camrod did my carbs, it was def expensive, but they were nice

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, that wasn't my bike. My bike has been hibernating all winter long, indoors.
Oh good, means there's more SV peeps. There's def a yellow 1st gen s in the east village I see almost everyday, wonder who that guy is.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My SV (and the BMW) are still hibernating at my parent's place. One of them will make it down to the city in a few more weeks.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We should do a meet sometime in May, what do you guys think? Also if anyone has any parts for sale, gear etc... post them up

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm in Queens too, I live in the woodhaven area. My bike is in pieces right now. I'm doing the frontend swap right now and I'm waiting for parts. I have a 07 SV650N. I've done one ride for a couple of hours some weeks ago when we hit the record high of 60 degrees. I'm also down for a meetup and ride once I have it rideable again. And since we are on the subject of riding. Does anyone in the NYC area do trackdays? I have already signed up for May 9-10th with Teampromotion.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice, I was in queens for 2 years (Eliot & Woodhaven), you guys will see me around there from time to time. I'm a new rider, and the rubbers I will be ordering are not for the track (full touring tires), unless they let you get on with them anyway. I wouldn't mind hearing more about it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ricracer I've done track days, never with tpm. Do you usually have room to haul another bike?
Hey Omari,

This year my Cousin and friend was supposed to be planning at least 5 trackdays. My friend has already flaked so its just my Cousin and I at least for 3 trackdays.

I'm already signed up for a full weekend of May 19-20th, then I have another trackday on June 9th.

You are welcome to come along. I have a suite at the track for the overnight on the 19th with garage space.

We can split tolls, gas and garage or canopy. The more riders the better. And TPM is really good. They have always have run good trackdays and their full throttle program is good too. Check them out, and let them know you heard it from me.

Let me know if you want to tag along. PM me.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice, I was in queens for 2 years (Eliot & Woodhaven), you guys will see me around there from time to time. I'm a new rider, and the rubbers I will be ordering are not for the track (full touring tires), unless they let you get on with them anyway. I wouldn't mind hearing more about it.
Hey Domiken,

Woodhaven is ok. And as long as your tires have plenty of tread you will be good. Just do some research on what tire pressure would be good to be at the track. You should run your tires with lower pressures to accomidate the higher temperture that is generated from the higher speeds.

Also with touring tires I would assume that the leaning angles won't be as much as sportier tires.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Since you leave in Woodhaven, I envy you for now. I remember my good old days in Queens, I miss PIO PIO. The ones in Manhattan are not the same :(

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Domiken,

Woodhaven is ok. And as long as your tires have plenty of tread you will be good. Just do some research on what tire pressure would be good to be at the track. You should run your tires with lower pressures to accomidate the higher temperture that is generated from the higher speeds.

Also with touring tires I would assume that the leaning angles won't be as much as sportier tires.
Yeah, ill never forget it as it was my first apartments in NYC.

I will def do the research, the leaning angles are what scare me, I could imagine coming in a bit too fast, leaning a bit more while giving some throttle and going down... but then that's parts of the game so I would definitely be a bit more careful my first couple of runs. I would love to do a class at the track which im sure is available. Where do you go?

Since you leave in Woodhaven, I envy you for now. I remember my good old days in Queens, I miss PIO PIO. The ones in Manhattan are not the same :(
I miss that Pio Pio too

1 - 20 of 1308 Posts