Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, green thumbs: I know that quite a few of us enjoy planting a garden. Show me some of your stuff!

We just finally got ours in the ground a few weeks ago. One full day of tilling, digging, planting, and sweating... but it's done. My wife & I enjoy spending some QT in the garden. Nice & relaxing, and by mid-summer, the payoff is DELICIOUS!!

This year, we've got:
8 tomato plants (4 Early Goliath, 2 Goliath, 1 Better Boy, 1 Husky Cherry)
2 Jalepeno plants (already blooming with peppers!!)
1 Crookneck Squash
2 Cucumber plants
mutiple Sweet vidalia-type onions
multiple Garlic plants

OK, so now for the pics:
The garden plot, after tilling:

After planting tomatoes & staking:

View from the side. Far left - tomatoes, peppers.
Center - Tomatoes, onions, garlic
Far right - Cucumbers (not shown, not planted in this pic), squash

Growing jalepeno, destined for homemade salsa:
(Yes, we now have peppers on them!!!)

Husky Cherry tomato....growing like a weed now!!
Note the stalk, big around as your thumb!

Finally, the Better Boy, which is growing like mad! (Already blooming!!)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here's mine... At of the end of March:

At the end of May:

80 garlic plants (4-5 varieties, I don't have the garlic map handy!) planted back in November. During the last 2 weeks I added:

4 jalapeno
4 cayenne
4 basil
1 tomato (not pictured, just added that last night)

The dead stalk there is a basil plant from last year, left there for reference. I really should have planted quite a bit sooner, like mid-April. Oh well. In a few weeks the basil plants will shoot up like mad.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have a perennial garden I planted about 3 yrs. ago and is starting to take off. The theory is fist year it sleeps, Second year it creeps and Third year it leaps. Yes this year it has leaped. These pics are from about a month ago so not to much is in bloom but you get the idea. Sometime I will take some more pictures but don't feel like it today.

I live in zone 5 for anyone who cares.

4'x4' bleeding heart

Bosnian Pine and other perennials.

Perennial Bachelor Button

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, I'm a fan of the garlic. Next year will be a more varied layout. Maybe only 40 garlic plants, and a few more veggies (carrots, tomatoes). I'm going to try ginger and lemongrass, too, if I can get it to shoot.

There are deer in the vicinity, not tons, but anything that doesn't stink or grow below-ground is at risk. Squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can always try planting marigolds around the perimeter, but to be honest... in some areas (West Virginia, for one) the deer are so f***ing voracious, they will eat ANYTHING. My cousin in WV reports every summer of deer munching down on his Habaneros like there's no tomorrow!!! :eek: I didn't believe it, until I saw them myself - unreal.

Lost1888 - NICE! Looking great! The Perennial Bachelor Button is very pretty, and one of my favorites... We have numerous Bearded Iris growing... I may have to snap a few pics & post later.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I have this evergreen bush in the front of my house. It was kind of neglected for too long and I finally got around to trying to trim it, it looked like a huge tumor bush.

Well I dunno, it's trimmed somewhat but its still a mess. The lower branches grew out further than the upper branches. I think the bush has gotten to out of control and I need to just remove it. I think if I were to try to trim it to size it would be bare for quite sometime, and may not look right afterwords anyway.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I have this evergreen bush in the front of my house. It was kind of neglected for too long and I finally got around to trying to trim it, it looked like a huge tumor bush.

Well I dunno, it's trimmed somewhat but its still a mess. The lower branches grew out further than the upper branches. I think the bush has gotten to out of control and I need to just remove it. I think if I were to try to trim it to size it would be bare for quite sometime, and may not look right afterwords anyway.

What do you think?
It really depends on what type of shrub it is. Some grow faster that others. If you could pm me pic I can tell you what it is and if it can be saved. I was a landscaper for 15 yrs up until last fall and changed professions to work for my daa.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like Lost1888 said, it really depends on the bush.

I have some American Boxwoods that I severely pruned two years ago to force them to fill in. This year, they've grown so freaking much I have a lovely hedge now! ;D

Azaleas can handle a pretty harsh pruning also, as can most holly bushes. I'd be a little more cautious with evergreens like Junipers, they can turn out mega-fugly if you get too aggressive.

Post a pic up...we'll be happy to give our two cents! :p

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, PaPa... here are those boxwoods. 2 years ago, I pruned 'em back to one third the size you see now:

Keep in mind, sometimes these things take a little time.

Here is an azalea we had to prune literally to the ground:

In about three years, here is what it will look like:
(I know this because this one got 'the treatment 3 yrs ago when it got sick)

They spring back, with a vengeance!

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While we're on the subject of "too tough to kill"... We grew starwberries in the garden 4 years ago, but the little buggers have a habit of sending out suckers & overtaking your garden, fast. So we dug them up & gave them all away, except for two plants. I potted them in small pots, placed on the back of my deck, and waited for Winter's harsh bite to kill them.

3 winters later...totally unprotected:

Yep, they were FULL of berries this spring...:eek:

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
You did the right thing by moving the berries into containers. They are just way to invasive but make a great container plant.. Plus I like the look they have with some trailers hanging down the edges of the pot.
That's a fantastic idea ... I think I might try this.

I get my own garden area back in August ... I cannot wait.

1 - 20 of 521 Posts