Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may have been raised before, but what the hell. I am wondering if anyone else feels a twinge of offense when someone refers to their bike as a "crotch rocket," "rice rocket," or "rice burner." I have noticed that most nonriders (and pretty much all nonsportbike riders) always refer to my bike as one of the above three. However, it does not seem like there are any derogatory names for cruisers or dual sports or any other motorcycle category.

What surprises me more is when sportbike riders refer to their own bikes as crotch rockets. To me, that term invokes a lot of sentiments of squidliness and a type of mocking, as if "crotch rockets" are somehow cheap throwaways whereas 900+ pounds of American iron makes a "real" motorcycle. Of course when dealing with nonriders, their ignorance on the subject is to be expected, but I feel cruiser riders (and mainly American Iron types) say this in order to make themselves feel better about riding what they ride. It is funny though, as a lot of these dudes will spend thousands to make their bikes perform better, which still puts their bikes way below most stock sport bikes. Anyone else have any opinions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Let them talk, then when you are next to one of them at a stop light, see who ends up at 60 in 3 seconds!

But really, I don't think I'd mind someone calling my bike a crotch-rocket if I was riding some little ninja 250 or something that looked really sporty. I take offense when someone says to me "is that your crotch-rocket over there?" because I like to think of the SV as more of a workhorse than just a rocket. I think respectful riders of other styles would never refer to a sport bike as a crotch-rocket, so if some other biker does just let it be.

I've also heard it done in both affectionate and derogatory manners, this should be taken into account when judging the offense of the term.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Oh noes, somebody called me a name :'(

I couldn't give a crap what people call my bikes, and even less what non sports bike riders call them, and even less what non bike riders call them.

Dude, you worry to much about other peoples opinions... basically, they're like arse holes, everyone has one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
This girl(I think) doesn't seem to find a problem with "squidliness" haha:

Urban Dictionary:
69. squid

a word generally used to say something is cool, awesome, sweet, fabulous, or that you like something (or someone).
"Your shirt is so squid!"
awesome cool sweet super-fly fabulous
by Squid Girl May 16, 2007 share this

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Nobody has said anything to me, or nor do I have heard someone saying something about bikes...

I wouldn't pay attention to what they said...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was just informed here that a gold wing is really a leadwing.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Friend's redneck father calls anything Japanese - cars or motorcycles - rice grinders. I find it rather funny, and not the least bit offensive.

S

·
0 Posts
A friend of mine refers to Harley engines as "American boat anchors."

I find the "rice rocket" terms offensive also.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I could care less. I just ride above all those comments.
Equal opportunity,,............lol

what the hell does that mean?
I have no freakin idea,......

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ss already stated, who cares what other people call your bike.
Do you like your bike? Thats all that matters.

I think the saying starts out with, "stick and stones....." ;D

weren't you leaving? ;)
Nice catch Dackler, I was thinking the same thing...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'm sometimes forced to refer to my bike as a crotch rocket when describing it to someone who has no clue what an Sv is. "It's like a crotch rocket without plastic and has a v-twin like a harley pretty much". I've never had a cruiser jockey refer to it as anything other than a sportbike, then again 90% of the one's I've talked to started out on something like a CB or similar standard type bike which used to be considered "sportbikes".

1 - 20 of 105 Posts