Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2570612

Fire away with comments, suggestions or questions!

I'm in need of a good idea for a seat. I was thinking find some old leather and get a plywood base. I have some foam. But I need a good way of securing it on there.

also paint job suggestions. I was thinking blue. with gold "knee pockets" and a white number oval on the tail. With no numbers.

The bike is getting sold at the end of the summer. So anything I paint on there is going to be an attempt to make it look good for resale. I'm not trying to profit on this, I just really needed a summer project.

Happy riding! :vroom:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm a sucker for a cafe bike. So I picked this up.

I think I'm going to not fiddle with the carbs. It runs well enough where the risk isn't worth the reward if I mess something up. If I was at home I'd go for it. But right now I'm living in Oklahoma (part of the reason I got this bike) and I have limited tools and workspace. So I'll leave well enough alone.
(click for video)

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have an idea how to mount the seat onto the body? The best I've got is velcro on the seat and body. But I'm not particularly in love with that idea.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Or you could do it sort of SV seat style. What I'm thinking is two slots that prongs on the seat slip into, either bolted onto the fiberglass where the seat goes or cut out of the fiberglass. Then to secure it you could do one bolt in the back off of a metal bracket attached to the seat and just bolt that in an easy access area to keep the seat in place and in the slots.

It wouldn't be terribly "secure" in the sense of theft, but it wouldn't be a pain to remove either ever time you needed it off.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, both of those seem like good ideas for a regular syle tail. But I don' think they would work so well for this bike. I'll upload better pics of the tail section. Maybe that will better show how things are put together on there.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some better seat snapshots. The bolts hold the tail section to the frame. And it hides the batteries and electronics so access to them is important.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My idea could still work, just have a kind of metal bar out of flat stock that rises up from right on the tail section just enough to allow some plastic or whatever material prongs from the seat to slide under, then you could just run a bracket from the back of the seat to the top of where the passenger seat would be if you had one and bolt it through the tail section somehow. It seems fairly secure in my mind. You'd just have to fab up the bracket for the front out of flat stock I guess.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What sort of seat are you putting on there? Could make all the difference. Maybe mount some strong earth magnets on the underside of the tail under the seat if the fiberglass isn't too thick? Then just match them up with magnets discretely hidden in the seat?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still thinking of a wooden base, In an L shape to match the tail section with leather, or similar seat fabric stretched and stapled over.

I'll draw up something and post a picture.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For the hard starting part....

Carbs.... chances are it sat for a while, the enrichment ports clog up really easily on the old CV carbs. You'll need to tear into them and get them nice and clean.
Also a valve clearance check if you want to get the carbs tuned properly.
Another issue is the pods,,,,, they will make tuning the carbs a bit of a nightmare, the CD carbs like to run on the restricted capacity of the air box, pods allow much more air in.....

Check these

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2908.html

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1640/highlight=clunk.html

Not sure of the triples use the same valve set up as the XJ's or not, but is for they also have a good write up on that as well in the FAQ suggestion section

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It starts fine now. Never had to kick it more than once or push the starter button... well not NOW, because the carbs are in the back of my truck. But after I ran some gas through it (and remembered to turn the petcocks on) it runs fine. I'll do as much fine tuning as I can with idle speeds and whatnot after I get the gas tank painted and back on the bike.

And no way in hell I'm doing a valve check on it. It's got to be sold in the next few weeks and I don't have the time to dink around with that. It runs well enough as it is.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you figure out a way to get it there its yours (provided you also pay me some money). One of my friends in WI is looking at transporting it as well.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tulsa O.K.

In other words a long drive for an old motorcycle. Not that I wouldn't keep it, if it was practical.

But I will be honest. I did ride it around some corners, and it made me realize why the SV is so freaking awesome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts